C+C on this shot

jfrabat

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As part of Sony's activities for Alpha camera owners here in Costa Rica, we were taken to an even hosted by SoHo Magazine, where 5 young ladies are contesting for a spot as a SoHo model. On last Firday's event, they had a car there, and the poses the models were using were a bit cliche, so I asked one of them to just lean on the car to get thisshot, which I like very much:

$DSC00961.jpg

I then did a bit of post, smoothing her face a bit (I have Portrait Professional, which is what I used), and then used PaintShop Pro to correct the colors a bit and darken the background like this:
$DSC00961_B.jpg

So what do you guys think? If you like it, please say WHY you like it. If you do NOT like it, I can take it, but PLEASE tell me WHY you do not like it so that I can learn.. I have pretty thick skin, so dont worry about offending me; I want to get better, and the only way to do so is through criticism...

Felipe

The first things that stand out to me above all else are the person in the background and her hairy arm.

I would have waited for the person in the background to move out of the shot, or change your angle.

As for her arm, I am surprised that a model wouldn't shave or wax it since she has very dark hair on lighter skin. It also looks extremely long without seeing the rest of the arm in the frame. Perhaps some processing on the arm would be beneficial.

The first things that stand out to me above all else are the person in the background and her hairy arm.

I would have waited for the person in the background to move out of the shot, or change your angle.

As for her arm, I am surprised that a model wouldn't shave or wax it since she has very dark hair on lighter skin. It also looks extremely long without seeing the rest of the arm in the frame. Perhaps some processing on the arm would be beneficial.

Yeah, the hair threw me out too... I did not even notice it until I got home and started processing the image. I tried a couple of ways to get rid of it in post, but could not do it satisfactory (I just managed to make the whole arm look like a prosthesis!), so I just left it alone. I guess since she is technically not a model (more like an ASPIRING model), she did not know or something, but she needs to take care of that if she's to go pro, I think.

The person on the background is one of the other models; I tried hiding her with a darker background in post. There was very little room to maneuver, but I could probably have moved a bit more to hide her behind the model I shot...

Any comments on the composition itself or the post processing? Anyway, thanks for the comments!

I tried to remove the hair. Here is what I got...

I also corrected the halo to the left of the arm. I tried to remove the girl in the background. I think you should clone some reflections to make it look real. I ran out of energy....

DSC00961_B.jpg

First thing that popped in my head was what a beautiful woman! I will say I find the background a bit distracting SOHO. Such a beautiful woman, do you have anymore of her? I love Brians edit :)

luvmyfamily said:
First thing that popped in my head was what a beautiful woman! I will say I find the background a bit distracting SOHO. Such a beautiful woman, do you have anymore of her? I love Brians edit :)

She certainly was the most photogenic. She has that innicentlook about her that makes her more attractive. But I feel she needs more training on her posess. The ones she used by herself where a bit odd... But on a studio, with good make up and lighting, she could absolutly stunning.

I am thinking about cropping her out and putting in a flat background, as the very dark bacground does not help making her stand out because of her dark hair.

luvmyfamily said:

She certainly was the most photogenic. She has that innicentlook about her that makes her more attractive. But I feel she needs more training on her posess. The ones she used by herself where a bit odd... But on a studio, with good make up and lighting, she could absolutly stunning.

I am thinking about cropping her out and putting in a flat background, as the very dark bacground does not help making her stand out because of her dark hair.

Considering she was hosted by SOHO magazine, I can understand the background. As far as her being a model, she may not be the best model for posing. So this raises a good question, when photographing a model, who's job is it to pose them? The model or the photographer? Maybe depending on how advanced of a model they are? You are right though, she is absolutely stunning! I really like the reflection of her. On an off the wall note, I get emails from Victorias Secret when they run sales. I absolutely could not believe some of the photography of the models with heads almost chopped off :0

the hairy arm is the first thing I looked at after her face. and I don't really care for her reflection, it's distracting, keeps drawing my eye down there.

Tonight there is another event with the same 4 girls; any advise on how to take amazing shots is VERY welcome!

Watch out for the points that have been made and try to avoid making the same mistakes if circumstances allow. Remember that if these are aspiring models they may be more nervous than you are; try to help them relax. As you shoot tell them that they are looking great etc etc, pile the compliments on thick, especially if it's true. Do NOT make bad sasquatch jokes. Fill your card.

Good luck! :)

Thanks, granddad, I will take your advice... Let's see how this goes. I will also strobes, which are being brought this time; may help with the lighting and reflections! There will also be a pro photographer to give us some pointers, so that should help as well!

Her gorilla arms aside, I believe that horse has been beaten sufficiently into goo, The reflection off the background is distracting, as is the one on the car. Too much competing for your attention. Our eyes are drawn more to light areas than dark, so when you have those bright specular reflections against a dark background they stand out all that much more. Also, you nearly chopped the top of her head off. I am not sure if this is an uncropped image, but if not, leave a little more space above her head. I would also clone in that area on her forehead where her hair in front opened up a little, it's distracting. I toned down the background and the reflection on the car, cropping a good bit of it out of the image.

I too have Portrait "Mannequin Maker" Professional and use it every once in a blue moon for problem complexions. I don't know how much you use it, but when it comes to smoothing, it is like habañeros, a little goes a long way. It is very easy to turn a woman into a mannequin with it, which is not a flattering look at all. You didn't go way overboard like so many people do but looking at both large sized images, I would say it was not needed at all. Her skin does look a bit unnaturally smooth in the second one. I did knock the reflection down on her forehead jsut a bit though, her skin is a little shiny

Very quick and dirty:
View attachment 6751

OK, Round 2...

Last night they brought the 5 girls (there were five; I just posted one because that was the best shot) again... This time, though, I tried shooting in a different location, so the background is not AS busy... Please let me know your comments and critiques, as I know they are not perfect. Remember, though, my goal is to learn, so please say WHAT you don like about these and HOW to improve them in the future (and, of course, you can also mention what works!).

$DSC01297.jpg

This one is my favorite...
$DSC01315.JPG

$DSC01340.JPG

And here's one with our old friend... I like the Fast and Furious look of this shot, even though it's probably not the BEST shot:

$DSC01349_pp.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back