C&C Please - Bathroom Guest

OrionsByte

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I found a little guest in our bathroom tonight, and rather than kick it out I decided to take some pictures. I have no idea what kind of spider it is, but it was about nickel-sized.

This is the first shot I took. Took an educated guess at the camera and flash settings and got pretty darn close, which is a big win for me because it makes me feel like I'm learning. 55mm, f/8, SB-600 flash off-camera resting on the towel rack below the spider and aimed to bounce off the opposite wall at 1/4 power.

After seeing how that one turned out, I noticed that my DOF was a little shallow and I lost a little of the spider's legs at the far end. I also had a different idea for the lighting, so here's the best of the shots from attempt #2 - it was shot at 55m, f/11, with the SB-600 flash resting on the towel rack and pointed straight up at the spider along the wall, at 1/16 power. This image also got a big contrast and saturation boost in post, and technically it was shot in portrait (with the shadow going up the wall) but I thought it looked better in landscape.

What do you think? I still missed the focus on his back legs a little, so I probably should have gone a step or two farther on the aperture and brought the flash power up to compensate. Anything else?

looks like a wolf spider. good for insect control. they are poisonous but in most cases not significantly enough to be a medical concern.

Did you kill it after the photo shoot or did you name it and keep it as a pet!

First shot really does nothing for me. I do like the second! With a Macro lens I think that shot could be amazing. Good job!

oh and as for the photos. not bad. i like 1 better. the lighting on 2 seems to have given the spider some weird color. looks like your ready for some macro tubes.

Did you kill it after the photo shoot or did you name it and keep it as a pet!

Nah, my wife doesn't let me kill spiders. She's going to "relocate" it today.

oh and as for the photos. not bad. i like 1 better. the lighting on 2 seems to have given the spider some weird color. looks like your ready for some macro tubes.

Well part of the "weird color" might be because of how much I cranked up the saturation, which I did just to make the spider stand out more and give it a kind of creepy other-worldly feel. Here's the original RAW file without any editing for comparison.

DSC_0779-1.jpg

Most reactions

Back