What's new

C&C Please - Flash

kahulani

TPF Noob!
Joined
Oct 29, 2009
Messages
27
Reaction score
0
Location
Oklahoma...wishing I lived back on the West Coast
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi there, I'm experimenting with my new flash...not really sure how to use it. In fact, i have no idea, I've got it angled towards the ceiling. Please let me know what you think...advice appreciated! I'm trying to get away from the "snapshot" look. THx!

4121160000_32155fe33c_b.jpg
 
GOOD LIGHTING.
When shooting people, becareful bouncing straight up b/c you'll probably end up getting shadows under the eyes (raccoon eyes aren't sexy, unless you're going for gothic look). IF you will end up bouncing into the ceiling, use a bounce card, it'll act as a fill light.
 
Looks like a good start to me. The dog is evenly lit. The background is a tad dark I find however.
 
It's good the background is a tad dark. It separates the dog from the background making the pooch pop a bit more.
 
It's good the background is a tad dark. It separates the dog from the background making the pooch pop a bit more.
Hah! I was reading quickly and totally saw that as "making the pooch poop a bit more"!! HIGH-Larious!

Anyhow, I agree that it's nice even lighting with no harsh shadows. To make it more interesting, and less "snapshot-ish", you could try focusing more on composition. For instance there's a bit too much foreground and the dog's head is crowded by the top of the frame.

Overall, for not knowing anything about your flash, you've pulled off good lighting here!
 
are you sure this is your first flash photo? Looks great to me and also looks like you have done it a few times before. Well done!
 
cute dog flash looks good.
rule of 3rds dog in center.
 
It's good the background is a tad dark. It separates the dog from the background making the pooch pop a bit more.
Ditto.
For portraits, I try to have my background under by 1/2-1 stop. When running after my kids to get the shot, I'm thankful to get something :lmao:
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom