C & C please I haven't asked for any in a while, 10 month old photo shoot

luvmyfamily

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Was going for expressions when she least expected.

#1 I know she is facing forward, and not the ideal pose, but I like the expression.

tay3 by luvmyfamily1, on Flickr

#2 i know, her feet are cut off...once again I like the expression

tay7 by luvmyfamily1, on Flickr

The description for the Beginner's forum changed a while back, such that the Beginner's forum is no longer a Gallery or C&C forum section.

This is NOT an actual gallery, but more of a place to ask questions and get feedback on technical issues. Use the TPF Galleries to show us some of the photos you have taken so far and get some review - so you can learn where there is room for improvement!

The TPF Galleries are found here - Photo Galleries- Photos submitted by members for general display or critique.

Last edited:
The description for the beginner's forum changed a while back, such that the Beginner's forum is no longer a Gallery or C&C forum section.

This is NOT an actual gallery, but more of a place to ask questions and get feedback on technical issues. Use the TPF Galleries to show us some of the photos you have taken so far and get some review - so you can learn where there is room for improvement!

The TPF Galleries are found here - Photo Galleries- Photos submitted by members for general display or critique.

Didn't know it had changed, last I read beginners are not allowed to post in the general galleries. I would remove this if I could and post there?

How much reading have you done on the theories of composition, beyond the RoT's?

How much reading have you done on the theories of composition, beyond the RoT's?

I have done quite a bit which is why I pointed out especially in the first one that she was facing forward, but I like capturing expressions with babies trying to crawl off my studio.

The description for the beginner's forum changed a while back, such that the Beginner's forum is no longer a Gallery or C&C forum section.

Keith I think it would take seconds

On all of the indoor shots.. the whites of her eyes have a cyan cast, has to come from post! What did you do?

Are you using on camera flash (pop-up?) The highlights around her eyes / face in the last one you posted are strange.. not attractive.

On all of the indoor shots.. the whites of her eyes have a cyan cast, has to come from post! What did you do?

Are you using on camera flash (pop-up?) The highlights around her eyes / face in the last one you posted are strange.. not attractive.

Yeah, her eyes don't look like that on the outdoor one? I used a flash with a DIY diffuser (white card over flash) rest of her body was on same exposure...I did play around with colors in the color balance in PS trying to get the colors to pop, so maybe a combo of diffused flash, studio lighting and adjusting colors in post is why her eyes look that way and the outdoor one does not...thank you for pointing that out...I actually thought she had beautiful eyes and long thick eyelashes and personally thought the indoor one's looked better than the outdoor because her eyes didn't do that and I processed the same way however I didn't use a flash outdoors. So are you saying these are awful? ;0

If you are using "studio lighting" which I assume means some sort of constant light.. you should never mix flash with that unless you gel the flash to match! If you are using the pop-up flash.. get a real flash.. and use it OC. My advice would be to get rid of the "studio lighting" entirely.. it is usually junk!

#4, I would toss... unless the original looks better than your edit. Maybe you could post the original?

The rest? Nothing I would present to a client! ;)

Didn't know it had changed, last I read beginners are not allowed to post in the general galleries. I would remove this if I could and post there?
I had already moved it.

There was/is no restriction on beginners posting in the Photo Galleries sections. None of those descriptions have been changed.

I had already moved it.

There was/is no restriction on beginners posting in the Photo Galleries sections. None of those descriptions have been changed.

Thank you, will post here from now on.

I have done quite a bit which is why I pointed out especially in the first one that she was facing forward, but I like capturing expressions with babies trying to crawl off my studio.

Composition has little to do with how she is facing, moreover, posing.
Composition has to do with placement of your subject within the frame, and how other elements of composition and design effect how the image is viewed. (which way the subject is looking can have a great deal of impact on how you decide to compose)

In your first image, you should have put more space above her, and shot in portrait orientation.
This is a good example where centering the subject would work. Trying to apply the rule of thirds here is just a waste. It's awkward.
The bigger issue, going back to the space above her, is what the effect of that lack of space, and the more generous space below her imply, or suggest. It suggests she is floating. Providing more space above, and less below helps ground the subject. In that one her pose is a triangle shape. Bottom heavy. So, visually, you want the bottom heavy subject to be grounded. The converse is true if you have a subject that is floating or flying. Some will suggest leaving more space above and in the direction of implied movement. Sometimes that works. Other times, it's very effective to put the floating/flying subject higher up, and near the edge, to add to the drama of floating away.

I think you need to do some more indepth reading, and really studying composition. Supplement this by looking and well done images, advertising, even TV and movies. Movies are great to watch and apply compositional theory to the scenes, and watch as they transition from one composition to another. All your images are framed rather awkwardly. Even if your lighting was spot on, the images would still be lacking.

On the second one, as you know, you chopped limbs. Portrait orientation would have let you capture all of her. Mind you it's OK to chop body parts when it works for the composition. Typically, when you are close up. But it takes a real good eye to figure out where to crop in the most effective manner. There are no set rules for this, and it takes time to get a real good feel for doing so.

The third one would have worked so much better if you put the rubber ducks more to the right of the tub, and in the same plane. It would have allowed a nice landscape portrait, with balance and a reason for the space on the right. But the direction of her eyes in that composition wouldn't work too terribly well. She would be looking out of the frame on the left, and that directs the viewers gaze in that direction as well. As it is now, again, should have been shot in portrait. It would still have issues, but it would be better. This one also has the bullk of the subject higher in the frame, little space above, and more below, giving the feeling of floating. You have to think of the final product when setting up your props to get the most effective compositions out of it. Otherwise, you are stuck.

The last one is the better of the bunch, and I think a square crop would be ideal here. I'd crop the left, allowing about the same space as her foot has to the bottom edge, and whatever off as needed from the right to make a square.

As much as lighting can make or break an image, composition will do it too.

Composition has little to do with how she is facing, moreover, posing.
Composition has to do with placement of your subject within the frame, and how other elements of composition and design effect how the image is viewed. (which way the subject is looking can have a great deal of impact on how you decide to compose)

In your first image, you should have put more space above her, and shot in portrait orientation.
This is a good example where centering the subject would work. Trying to apply the rule of thirds here is just a waste. It's awkward.
The bigger issue, going back to the space above her, is what the effect of that lack of space, and the more generous space below her imply, or suggest. It suggests she is floating. Providing more space above, and less below helps ground the subject. In that one her pose is a triangle shape. Bottom heavy. So, visually, you want the bottom heavy subject to be grounded. The converse is true if you have a subject that is floating or flying. Some will suggest leaving more space above and in the direction of implied movement. Sometimes that works. Other times, it's very effective to put the floating/flying subject higher up, and near the edge, to add to the drama of floating away.

I think you need to do some more indepth reading, and really studying composition. Supplement this by looking and well done images, advertising, even TV and movies. Movies are great to watch and apply compositional theory to the scenes, and watch as they transition from one composition to another. All your images are framed rather awkwardly. Even if your lighting was spot on, the images would still be lacking.

On the second one, as you know, you chopped limbs. Portrait orientation would have let you capture all of her. Mind you it's OK to chop body parts when it works for the composition. Typically, when you are close up. But it takes a real good eye to figure out where to crop in the most effective manner. There are no set rules for this, and it takes time to get a real good feel for doing so.

The third one would have worked so much better if you put the rubber ducks more to the right of the tub, and in the same plane. It would have allowed a nice landscape portrait, with balance and a reason for the space on the right. But the direction of her eyes in that composition wouldn't work too terribly well. She would be looking out of the frame on the left, and that directs the viewers gaze in that direction as well. As it is now, again, should have been shot in portrait. It would still have issues, but it would be better. This one also has the bullk of the subject higher in the frame, little space above, and more below, giving the feeling of floating. You have to think of the final product when setting up your props to get the most effective compositions out of it. Otherwise, you are stuck.

The last one is the better of the bunch, and I think a square crop would be ideal here. I'd crop the left, allowing about the same space as her foot has to the bottom edge, and whatever off as needed from the right to make a square.

As much as lighting can make or break an image, composition will do it too.

Wow, thank you for taking the time to type out and give me that info. I have copied and pasted this info into my word doc I have saved with info which is now almost a book. I feel if I would have centered her, someone would have said something about that. I think your advice on magazines and movies is great, and this works well with a teen or older person, but babies won't sit still for poses. I am more into capturing expressions and moments with the little ones. Once again, thank you for taking so much time for the info and I hope you don't mind that I copied it for reference.

Your work is improving, but it seems sporadic, and my feeling is that you are trying (whether intentionally or sub-conciously) to do everything at once. Work on one facet, either the technical or the artistic, and learn that, and then move on. My suggestion would be to start with the technical. Learn the basics of lighting and exposure and how to control them, learn what lights work with what lights and how to mix ambient, flash, continuous (it can be done), etc... then, once you can regularily turn out well exposed images under most conditions, THEN work on poses, composition, etc.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back