C+C please,my first attempt in studio fashion photography

justme2312

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello, this is my first shooting in studio, please I need some critique from someone more experienced than me

final2.jpg

dani12.jpg

_MG_69062.jpg

1) These are too contrasty.
2) The clothes blend into the background too much. You need more light on the background and greater subject-to-background separation.

#1 could be great but she has no neck. The stomach needs work. And her boobs need help. Either a re-shoot with a pushup bra or breakout the liquify tool. They're too pointy and low.

#2 could be much better if it weren't totally blown out. A re-work in post is in order I think. And heal-out the faux crease/line on the jeans. It's distracting.

#3 is the bad apple. The look is expressionless. The pose is awkward...way too much arch in the back. Re-shoot from a higher angle. Her legs are exceptionally long in this shot, making her look like she's 8 feet tall with a small head.

All in all, though, you're definitely on the right track.

I agree about really harsh lighting on the first one, but does it remind anyone else of a certain Cindy Crawford shot? I'm totally seeing the same shot here..LOL

I really like these photographs and think you've done an amazing job. Try to work on your lighting a little bit though, a woman's stomach should be nice and smooth and not so pronounced as it is in the first one :)

I cant decided whether or not I like the harsh lighting in #1. Also in #1 her hair isnt as sharp as I would like it. Second of all, I dont know many women outside of the street corners who would wear that top. The body position is good and not too over the top, its effective in otherwords, especially for fashion photography. And I dare say she needs some sort of "support" in the first one. And if she does have a bra on, a better one is needed.

#2 We all know I like the "blown out" look, but the background distracts me.
However she kinda has the "dead eye" look. Theres nothing really connecting to the camera, which is her area she needs improvement as a model, not yours. But as the photographer, her demenor is going to take this photo from "i took this in my basement studio" to "I photographed this in a studio in NYC". I like the creases in the jeans, dont edit them out

#3 Yes, not the best of the 3. She is lifeless and shes pushing her "stomach" out which is not flattering. Well it just looks awkward. I disagree with the above that her legs look exceptionally long, its fashion photography, they are supposed to. but her head does look a tad small. However the leg position and her feet position are good. Maybe trying some a slightly higher angle or not having her leaning back as far.

I think the most important thing people need to realize about fashion photography is that the model doesn't always have to be half naked (sorry guys). Fashion photography is supposed to reflect a certain lifestyle, one that the comsumers want to live. #1 is the only one that makes me think that. The other 2 are average and anyone could do them. A good rule of thumb for fashion, especially since in #1 she looks a little "unsupported", Underwear is just as important as outerwear. And everything has to be perfect.

These are a good start. Except my minor gripes (minor comming from someone on an internet forum, but major from someone in the fashion industry) these are nice and I really do like #1

Thanks guys for the critique......it really helps me.

Maybe I have to explain some things. Initially i kept only the first pic from the whole shooting, but I did put the other 2 because I saw there was something awkward with them and I needed help to understand where I messed up.
It was my first time in a studio,at the University,trying to sort out how lights work. I am a photography student in my first year and she is my girlfriend...In picture number 1 I messed up her boobs :)) with some dodge and burn.

Maybe you can give me more advices about this.......

I really like the first one and how harsh it is. I myself am into the whole harsh image look. I agree about the stomach but its not completely noticeable.

You're photos are beyond me, truthfully, but I thought I would pop in and say I like them, and you have a very nice model working for you. She has good dimensions. And one thing I always notice is the collarbones, which in your model's case are very well defined. I don't know what a professional would say, but I think with just a few minor moves here and there, you'd be on your way.

Also, as a noob, I like your photos as is. I know you're probably not trying to please me, though. Nonetheless I thought you deserved a compliment.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back