C&C Please. Portrait

ImageArray

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
imagearray.wordpress.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I took this portrait shot of my husband last night. I've been really focusing hard on portraits these days and I need some C&C. Because he's my husband and I personally really like the pose - I'm a little biased lol. So tell me what you think.

I do a LOT of green screen work too. I love having the ability to change the background to whatever I want... adding more excitement to the poses themselves!

I'm also adding a picture I took of my son to stress how much fun the green screen is! I took the picture before I had the background, they just work so perfectly together!

My Husband:
5136483353_527b318905_z.jpg

My Son:
5137094976_43aa5cdb2a_z.jpg

The light is very flat in both images. Makes it look 2d instead of 3d. So when you throw on a background, it really makes the image look fake. Not a fan of green screens.

I'm thinking you are using an onboard / popup flash, as you can see the flash spot in both the images and the kid has a pretty harsh shadow behind him.

Try and get the subject further from the background to minimize that shadow. If you have an external flash, use than and bounce it. If you are stuck with a popup, find a way to diffuse that light somewhat to make the shadow less harsh...even putting some translusant paper in front of it.

The light is very flat in both images. Makes it look 2d instead of 3d.

Thansk, I totally agree with you there and I am really struggling with my lighting. I've been trying all different things and I can't seem to get the right lighting. I need to get a proper set up for studio lighting but I don't have the money either. :(

I rarely use my built in flash. I do have a flash unit but it's so darn harsh. The built in is useless. I have a diffuser on the way (ordered one yesterday lol). My set up is this: 2 over head lights, and 2 umbrella lights - that's all I have (pathetic right!). Not to mention I'm working in a basement with very little natural light. I really need a proper lighting set up....

Aside from the lighting tho, is there anything else wrong with them?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back