Everyone, thanks for the C&C. Last night I thought, "what a great picture!", but now I see how important my moving eye and perspective also are, in addition to composition & PP (which actually was my main concern)!
Your B&W PP is quite good but the tilt is annoying.
What bothers me most is your composition. When I first looked at the image I got the feeling you didn't dare get closer to the person. Mainly, I think because of the bench closest to us. Then I read your response to manaheim and I went yup.
You need to learn to feel easy about people if you want to get good shots of them. Take a look at Hooligan Dan's thread on his winning third place in a PJ competition. The photos are in his blog. When you look at them you get the feeling that he is comfortable with his subject and, to me, as a veteran of this type of photography, it makes the photos.
Cheers.
Sorry, I have no idea who you're talking about; can you link the entries here?
The other reasons why I didn't get so close was that:
1. I liked the framing by the 50mm at that range. If I was rocking some wide aperture, wide-angle L glass I think I would have approached the picture a lot differently, by the way.
2. I didn't move to the right due to the tree and bench blocking everything
3. I didn't move to the left and take a picture from there because I thought there were a lot of distracting objects in the background if I faced that way (and also I'd be "zoomed" in too close).
That being said, I'd love to check out the work of more experienced photographers and see how they handled their subjects. There's a lot of homeless people at the 3rd street promenade and I didn't want to be the guy who harasses them. Maybe I'll make like that one guy and hand out toothbrushes or something next time -- it'd be nice and I might make them feel more comfortable with me. Not to mention that it's my first time going out and taking pictures like this, so next time I'll remember to be a little more bold.
If only that bench hadn't been there :x