C&C please

thomas.corbett

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took these images at different times, some the other day and some in fall time. Let me know what you guys think.

edit.jpg

blackandwhitecap.jpg

DSCF2011.jpg

finalhdrimage.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg

Thanks in advance!

I can see you have a bit of an eye for composition, but I have some suggestions. First suggestion is your watermark is really obtrusive. I know you're probably trying to prevent someone from stealing your images, but my eye is instantly going to your watermark instead of the images.

1. The tops of the buildings are cut off. If you're going to do a city skyline, you really need to see all the buildings. In addition, I think there's too much water. Maybe try and recompose with less water and more buildings.

2. This is my favorite of the group. Interesting composition, and I find it pleasing to look at. I might have tried to get more of the building in frame, but that's just me and it's my preference.

3. This is a much better skyline than the first. You can see all the buildings. Unfortunately, I can see some darker areas of the photo, where I'm guessing the stitching was done. I've not done too many panos so I'm not sure how to fix this, or why it happened. Someone can probably give a better opinion on this.

4. Not bad, but this would have been a much better composition if it were centered. This is one of those times it would have been ok to break the rule of thirds. Remember, the rules of composition are more of guidelines. They aren't hard and fast rules that need to be applied to each and every shot.

5. My pet peeve is in this shot...the dreaded tilted horizon. It was the first thing I noticed. If the horizon had been level, and the subject tilted, I think it would look a lot better. Also, I'm not sure the shallow DoF really works here. It's difficult to make out what I'm looking at and there's nothing really interesting. It might have been better to stop down a bit to get more of that 'hardware' in focus. Also, I would recompose with the horizon and subject not centered.

I can see you have a bit of an eye for composition, but I have some suggestions. First suggestion is your watermark is really obtrusive. I know you're probably trying to prevent someone from stealing your images, but my eye is instantly going to your watermark instead of the images.

1. The tops of the buildings are cut off. If you're going to do a city skyline, you really need to see all the buildings. In addition, I think there's too much water. Maybe try and recompose with less water and more buildings.

2. This is my favorite of the group. Interesting composition, and I find it pleasing to look at. I might have tried to get more of the building in frame, but that's just me and it's my preference.

3. This is a much better skyline than the first. You can see all the buildings. Unfortunately, I can see some darker areas of the photo, where I'm guessing the stitching was done. I've not done too many panos so I'm not sure how to fix this, or why it happened. Someone can probably give a better opinion on this.

4. Not bad, but this would have been a much better composition if it were centered. This is one of those times it would have been ok to break the rule of thirds. Remember, the rules of composition are more of guidelines. They aren't hard and fast rules that need to be applied to each and every shot.

5. My pet peeve is in this shot...the dreaded tilted horizon. It was the first thing I noticed. If the horizon had been level, and the subject tilted, I think it would look a lot better. Also, I'm not sure the shallow DoF really works here. It's difficult to make out what I'm looking at and there's nothing really interesting. It might have been better to stop down a bit to get more of that 'hardware' in focus. Also, I would recompose with the horizon and subject not centered.

#1 wasn't really a city scape the main subject is the Monona Terrence

#2 i was going for an older look of the Capitol, so i was keeping it tighter so that cars and other newer objects were left out.

#4 was an attempt of PP Hdr image from a single Raw image.

By the way i was surprised by the way that the panoramas turned out. this was before i started with a program to make them. those ones were made with cheaper 12x fujifilm camera on pan. setting.

Thanks for the comments.

Well, looks like gaerek left nothing left to comment on. These are some really nice shots. I love #2.

One thing I want to add though is, that in #1 you can really make out, where you stsched the images together. you could probably try to fix that with ps.

#1 wasn't really a city scape the main subject is the Monona Terrence

This is one reason why critique is a good thing. One thing about photos is that they really should stand on their own. The thing about panos is, typically, the subject is something very large, taking up most of the room in the shot. The terrace (which I am assuming is the building left of center with the blue windows) is very small compared to the size of the shot itself.

Without knowing that the subject was that building, given the type of shot, and what you're looking at, it really looks just like a not so great pano. My suggestions would be to try shooting the Terrace again, but maybe not make it part of a pano. Make it a more prominent part of the shot as a whole.

X2 on everything Gaerek said, with a BOLD UNDERLINE on removing that watermark- it is more distracting than the tilts and stitches...

2 is a nice photo. 4 could be good with a more selective crop, photo seems right side heavy.

p!nK

2 is good the rest are pretty bad and need recomp

Good job Ibats, this is a really consrtuctive comment

Most reactions

Back