C&C please

here is a basically unedited version, which I agree I like more, I could "brighten" it up a little bit, but I think if you do a quick search for child photographers you will see the trend, not from newbies flucking up and trying to cover up, but on purpose...

2w50ghu.jpg

and with your winston post that is all good and well for winston.
However, a one year old does not stay in the same place long enough to be able to control the metering like you can with a doll...
You shoot and pray, so to say....
So the MM model and woman in bikini were doing what exactly? Posing perhaps? Being patient for you to trigger the shutter release? Or were they running around also and you got what you got because you had no control over their actions?

It's not a trend. It's improperly exposing your subject AND scene. I still do it, but I know that I've done it and don't make excuses. I do a Homer, make mental notes and move on.

One thing that works for me is to have the highlights (blinkies) on the LCD instead of the histogram. Same principle as looking at a clock. I much rather look at an anologue clock than a digital. One takes a glance, the other needs to be read. If the blinkies are in a part of the scene that is important, adjust and reshoot.

Sorry to have backpeddled so quickly ya'll.

whew? am I in the BEGINNERS Forum? lol
I never claimed to be some great wonderful photographer, heck I just STARTED taking pictures like at the most 5 months ago.
I've learned a lot, but I guess I would rather do what the client wants and when she sends me examples of what type of images she likes and they are so friggen bright I can barely make out the kid, that is what I give her. :)

here is a basically unedited version, which I agree I like more, I could "brighten" it up a little bit, but I think if you do a quick search for child photographers you will see the trend, not from newbies flucking up and trying to cover up, but on purpose...

2w50ghu.jpg
That is the essence of adorable.
Those eyes are gorgeous.

I don't like it either but I post on a moms message board too and if I don't make them so dang bright you can barely see anything they tell me I'm under exposed.
:meh:

and you believe them?
:er:

p!nK

2w50ghu.jpg
Those eyes are gorgeous.

I agree...
But when I post THIS image on my moms message board (photographers, or what do you say, maybe MWC? lol) I get slammed a new one for it being underexposed.

So it is like damned if I do, damned if I dont.

Crystal, best person to ask is Michael (the shop owner. I think that's his name?) He's done it for years. Also, everything can be wrong about a picture and still make it right. I don't know too much about baby pictures but you work for a shop and if that's the style then that's how I'd do it. Also, if the clients are happy, that's also what matters the most.

2w50ghu.jpg
Those eyes are gorgeous.

I agree...
But when I post THIS image on my moms message board (photographers, or what do you say, maybe MWC? lol) I get slammed a new one for it being underexposed.

So it is like damned if I do, damned if I dont.

Please post a link to this thread where you are being told that photo is under exposed. I need a good laugh tonight.

p!nK

ababysean- what type of metering mode are you using?

In the unedited image, the dress has a blue cast. Is it actually white? If it is, would adjusting the WB help make it "brighter"?

ababysean, I realize you are a (advanced) beginner, but understand people come at this from different points of view. I want to ask you if YOU *really* like this style (trend)? While I undestand the all to common lemmings mentality of giving the customer what they want, because everybody else is doing it, I personally disagree with it. By not trying to set yourself (generalized you) apart from everybody else, you are (eventually) going to be less likely to be chosen by a client. Not because you are aren't doing something different, but because there are so many people doing the same thing it can come down to a coin toss.

Again, I know you are learning. I do feel there is value in learning how to nail a style. I feel there is greater value in taking that style and somehow, making it your own. Eventually, you need to set yourself apart from all the other MWC's.

I also have to say, I am faced with a similar problem in the jewelery business. I am regulary asked to duplicate something from a picture off the internet, magazine ad, catalogue. Even here, I try to sway the customer with my own spin on their chosen design. What usually sways them is that they will have something more unique than what is commercially available to everyone.

Keep learning, and absorbing everything! But please, everytime the words "but it sells" come out of your mouth, or fingers, I ask that you look deep inside and ask yourself if you always want to be that lemming.

:hug::

When I got my tilt shift lens, I have thought a lot about going out and using it exclusively for everything. How to take that tool, and create something of my own. Well, in all my parusing the net, I found a guy who does just that, and his images are freaking amazing. I always get bummed when I see an idea I have has already been "taken", but I always keep in mind, that I can strive to make it my own. :thumbup:

Her dress was the palest blue, almost I would say grey?
and I am confused on how to set a white balance I would love help with that, but I have to have someone show me...
I'm working at a studio, but he does mostly models, pin up style, "artistic" nudes, implied... you get the picture.... so for me to ask him advice on a baby picture he would probably run and scream out the door before working with a child! hahaha

And I have yet to charge anyone, so these shots are all freebies to help me learn.

But I do appreciate your advice, every single one of you.

I like the pictures. I understand what you're saying about mom's wanting super bright. I know a lot that do too.

I still think all of the eyes look over done, though. They just don't seem to even remotely match the rest of the photo, but that may be in too. I hardly claim to be up to date on photography "ins".

Most reactions

Back