C&C Please

williambarry

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.wm-barry.com
It's been a long while since I posted here, and I'm feeling masochistic.

Tear these apart. Teach me. Give me ideas to improve.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/559524_636442816910_173552446_n.jpg $483495_634844594760_686888_n.jpg

Attachments

• $559524_636442816910_173552446_n.jpg
    $559524_636442816910_173552446_n.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
The first one is great, with that harsh horror movie lighting I think it does a great job of nailing the toddler's THE WORLD IS ENDING response to.. everything. You'll probably get some abuse for it (you need to use more sliders in your b&w conversion, or something)

The second one is a charming portrait, but not nearly as interesting. The subject is good, and in focus, but the composition is too straight-on and centered, there's not a lot going on visually apart from the subject himself. The light is also a little odd, with the bright sun on his hat the face looks wrong. Fill flash? Photoshop? Whatever it is, it's out of sync with the background light and looks slightly odd.

the first one is great. LOVE it. But its such a different sort of shot I really don't even know how to give C+C on it. It's a truly unique sort of photo, so I don't really have any expectations of what it should look like.

Creating a truly unique photo is a lot harder than properly taking a photo technically. So that one is certainly a win there. I perhaps wouldn't have cropped off his elbows, but even making that change, I don't know, it might cause some of the exaggerated immediacy that makes the image to be lost. Ultimately I'd probably just leave it as is.

Well thanks both of you for the critique! I only had a few seconds on the first one to get the snap right (as it was a temper tantrum on the floor)

I do appreciate the help and I'll dig the raw file back up for the first shot and see if I can't get a better shot with your advice in mind!

Well thanks both of you for the critique! I only had a few seconds on the first one to get the snap right (as it was a temper tantrum on the floor)

I do appreciate the help and I'll dig the raw file back up for the first shot and see if I can't get a better shot with your advice in mind!

lol, photographers. Most people would be trying to get the kid to calm down and shut up, we think "oh my god little bobby, can you maybe show a tad more emotion and put your hands above your head, this is great! Loving it! hold that, I'm going to adjust the lighting a bit, maybe get a reflector"

Most reactions

Back