What's new

C&C Requested

LisaCadwell

TPF Noob!
Joined
Oct 7, 2012
Messages
138
Reaction score
7
Location
Yakima, WA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok - so I'm a newbie here and I'm trying to figure this all out. Any comments-advise??? AND is this the correct area to post this?

Lisa





 
Hi Lisa! I'm a newbie too, so take it for what it's worth! ;)

1st one: I like the pose, it's cute, but the image seems out of focus or bad quality (noisy, maybe?). The foliage on the foreground is a bit distracting and it could have been a good help to give the guy a little photoshop cleaning on the skin.
2nd: nice pose again, cute model. I'd have brought more light and contrast, maybe. The wood behind her is also a bit distracting because it blends with her clothes and hat, it makes me wonder where her head stops rather than look at this beautiful face...
3rd: a bit boring with the horizon line right in the middle, and lacks a point of interest where your eyes can "land", IYKWIM.

And overall all of them would need a little sharpening.

Just my thoughts, there's room for improvement of course but those are definitely much better than my first shots. *shake head in shame remembering those*
 
1. Are you using one or multiple focus points? Use only one and lock it onto the subject's eye. In this case I'd have locked on the outside corner of his left (our right) eye. Focus looks to be on his shirt sleeve. This image could have used some flash. She's got a pretty bad green reflection from the trees on her face/mouth area.
2 also has a focus issue which looks like shake or motion. What is your shutter speed on that one? I am guessing that it's too low.
3 does nothing for me. It has no real story or focal point to it. The horizon bisects the image in half. Try not to put your horizons directly in center.
Overall I'd say you could benefit greatly from a study on the basics of aperture and shutter speed as well as a thorough study on composition. Here is a link for the basics and one for composition.
 
Ok - so I'm a newbie here and I'm trying to figure this all out. Any comments-advise??? AND is this the correct area to post this?

Lisa



I'm far from the world's best portrait expert, but I see several things wrong with this one.

1. You've chopped off her left arm and his right arm. Put her left hand on his right shoulder.
2. He looks like he's squeezing her to death... her shirt is pulled up from her waist, and it looks like she would be uncomfortable with her shoulder being pushed in like it is.
3. They both need to turn to your right. This would allow her to get her face more square with the camera so her eyes aren't off-center ('shifty').
4. They're both off-center. This, along with the simple fact that he's larger, make him over-power the image. It also lopped off his left elbow.

On the plus side, you did a great job with the bokeh in the background, as well as make great use of the ambient light!
2.
 
@ 480sparky - Thank you. It's my daughters engagement photos. I took about 100 pictures and didn't think anyone would appreciate looking at that many! I found a book of 1000 posing positions that I think would be helpful to me. I am sure so unsure of how to have them stand to get great pictures.
 
LisaCadwell said:
@ 480sparky - Thank you. It's my daughters engagement photos. I took about 100 pictures and didn't think anyone would appreciate looking at that many! I found a book of 1000 posing positions that I think would be helpful to me. I am sure so unsure of how to have them stand to get great pictures.

Sparky is an outstanding photographer, however, please don't overlook or discredit MLeeks advice. She is very proficient in portraits, especially in composure and getting the desired result the first time around.
 
LisaCadwell said:
@ 480sparky - Thank you. It's my daughters engagement photos. I took about 100 pictures and didn't think anyone would appreciate looking at that many! I found a book of 1000 posing positions that I think would be helpful to me. I am sure so unsure of how to have them stand to get great pictures.

Sparky is an outstanding photographer, however, please don't overlook or discredit MLeeks advice. She is very proficient in portraits, especially in composure and getting the desired result the first time around.

Thanks Aaron.
I appreciate all advice that has been given. MLeeks was harsh - but honest too. Basically a slap down to the dredge pool for me. I'll be practicing a lot more with camera and editing before asking for a C&C again. BTW - I didn't take offense as I was prepared to get bad critiques back, just disappointed that there wasn't much right with the photos.

Thanks!
Lisa
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom