C&C Wanted

TheEVP

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
picasaweb.google.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is a picture I took at a local radio station event I was asked to shoot and wanted to get some feedback on what is good about the picture, what isn't and what I can do better next time. Thanks!

DSC01848.jpg

I like the brunette in the lace gloves a lot! That's a very good part of the shot.

Dee Snider is cool, but from a photographic standpoint, I see this as a snapshot.

Hold the camera level and square to the subjects (this will prevent the annoying 'leaning verticals' you have), bounce your flash off of the ceiling (this will prevent the nasty fall-off, the harsh specular highlights on the woman nearest camera left, and the unpleasant 'on-camera flash' catchlights), and tell people to stand up straight (redhead), look at the camera (woman in black & white dress, fellow in the middle).

Hold the camera level and square to the subjects (this will prevent the annoying 'leaning verticals' you have), bounce your flash off of the ceiling (this will prevent the nasty fall-off, the harsh specular highlights on the woman nearest camera left, and the unpleasant 'on-camera flash' catchlights), and tell people to stand up straight (redhead), look at the camera (woman in black & white dress, fellow in the middle).

Thanks for the input! The redhead on the right is VERY light skinned while the others were all tanned. Didn't have a flash except for the one on the camera but I can see what you mean about bouncing it. I'm picking up a flash in the next week or two so hopefully that will help next time. I really should use the level in the camera as I always think they are level but I guess not. The guy in the middle is Dee Snider from Twisted Sister. He's allowed to do what he wants. :)

The most obvious problem is the pop-up flash, which has a very tell-tale look to it that is rarely desirable. When you get a decent external flash and learn how to bounce it, it will be nothing short of a revelation for you.

As already mentioned, the difference in exposure between the closest and farthest girls is pretty conspicuous. If you would have stepped a bit further back from the group and compensated by zooming a bit, the exposures of those same two girls would be more even (a consequence of how light propagates from a point source—look up the inverse square law). Of course, this will only work to a point, because if you get too far away the wimpy pop-up flash will be out of its range.

Watch your backgrounds for clutter.

Learn about white balance, and off camera flash (OCF).

You have mixed light source color temperatures. The orange-ish color cast in the photo is caused by the tungsten/incandescent overhead lighting.
When using flash and tungsten/incandescent light, it helps to gel the flash to the color temperature of the tungsten/incandescent light source.
At events I usually just hand held an off camera flash unit so I could easily move it for different shots.
flash photography techniques - Neil vN - tangents
Strobist: Lighting 101

Books:
On-Camera Flash Techniques for Digital Wedding and Portrait Photography
Off-Camera Flash Techniques for Digital Photographers

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
IMO what could have be done: A tiny less view of the ceiling, eye contact from all the 5 people, diffusing the light a bit more.
What i really really really on your photo is the girl with the leopard dress.

Most reactions

Back