Meysha

still being picky Vicky
Reaction score
Website
vickywall.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Got the fright of my life when this came down and landed near me. :shock:
Taken when I was in brisbane 2 weeks ago.

IMG_3808Magpie.jpg

Naah, it's not a crow. But I did see some crows while I was there! (We don't get crows where I live) THey're massive down there! Like huuge chickens! One even dive bombed me from a roof when I tried to take its photo. :irked:

Anyway, it's a pretty boring photo... and I'm only posting it just to see if I remember how to post a photo thread! :lol:

Thanks for sticky-beaking!

Oh, but that is a cool one, and though it might not be all black, like our "real" crows here, the beak does indicate some relationship. It is almost like a crow.
And even though this one frightened you so, you are lucky to have got a photo like this one, close up and all. The German relations prefer to really run, erm: fly fast, and away, when they see a camera coming!
And it is not boring.
I like the play of light and shadow on the pavement, and how the dark crow (or whatever) is placed in the sunlit spot!

awww thanks lafoto!

it's not actually a crow... i told a lie. :blushing: It's really a magpie. Big evil bird that attacks people when they're mating. We don't get these up north either. Well we do, but they're a much much smaller variety.

I wasn't paying attention to the background at all... but did like it after I took the shot. I was just making sure I didn't scare him away like he almost did me! I was using the 50mm lens too, so had to use my manual zoom (ie: feet) to get in nice and close!

:lol: not a crow for sure...
sweet shot of the birdie Meysha! love the way you've composed it with the shadows :)

never seen one of those magpies.
i can see why it startled you.
nice capture!

Neat shot. I like it.
Must be nice to just have them land beside you.
I have stood still for hours at a time to capture a shot of a crow, and all I get are coins tossed at me.

I like this picture...I think a few things that could improve it would be; maybe if you can bend down to shoot him from a lower angle, it would probably help allow him to pop out more depending on the background. The other thing...some of the shadows on the ground a a little distracting...but I do have to say...if one of those landed near me, you'd get a good shot of my back and feet. :lol:

Other than those 2 small things...I like the picture. Nice capture. :thumbup:

Meysha said:
Big evil bird that attacks people when they're mating.

People who mate in public places perhaps deserve to be attacked :mrgreen: Sorry, I couldn't resist. Nice capture

It doesn't even look really like a magpie to me - just to be difficult. More magpie than crow, and they are both the same family, but I think it's still different to the ones here! We do get one in our back garden every day though, so I might see if I can photograph it some time.

Oh, and good shot - that must have been hard work with a 50mm lens.

that appears to be an austrailian magpie (looked it up on the internet).
Well living in Australia... I don't find that very surprising. :p

People who mate in public places perhaps deserve to be attacked
hahaha! I didn't notice that! You know what I meant anyway. :p

Celsium, I definately agree with your points. I PSd it a bit to make the magpie stand out more from the b'grnd... the original image is very flat with not much contrast. I think I accidentally had the camera left on some manual settings, and I underexposed it heaps.

Thanks for your comments everyone. You can expect some better shots in a minute! :mrgreen:

noworyz said:
that appears to be an austrailian magpie (looked it up on the internet). These are definatly different than the magpies we get here in the states!

That's what I was thinking. I saw some in Colorado when I was there but I was never close enough to get a shot of one.

By the way welcome to the board. I spent a couple of weeks around Missoula a few years ago...loved it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back