Cactus Trigger/Receivers

rCOSIO

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.rcosiophotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Any good ... of course not as good as Pocket Wizards, but will they do the trick if I only plan on using maybe once a month? If so, how far of range does it work ...

Thanks for the input ...

Never used Cactus myself but wherever you read there are issues regarding build quality, reliability, range etc.

I've just picked up a set of Yongnuo RF-602 wireless triggers after reading all the chatter on Flickr etc. For the price they have excellent build quality, a range of 300+ feet and I've not had a misfire yet. No they're not PW's but for less than the price of one PW I can fire all four of my flashes and have a trigger on each of 2 bodies. They double up as shutter triggers. They have built in hotshoes on the receivers so for me they work straight out of the box without the need for extra cables. They wake your flash up from sleep mode.

Negatives (if you can call them that, that I have found or read about so far)...

Won't go above your camera's sync speed so no HSS
Are limited to flashes with a trigger voltage of 12v or less otherwise you fry your receiver.
Do not wake SB600's from sleep mode (& perhaps SB900 as well).

I have Cactus V4's and have had 0 problems with them. I think they're a great option and much improved over the previous models (which I think most bad reviews you'll see are actually about). They're a great option, especially if you don't plan on using them heavily. I don't use mine that heavily, and have only really tested the range out for fun (I'm always relatively close to the receiver in practical use), but didn't have a single hiccup from roughly 50-75ft.

I ordered mine from MPEX rather than waiting on shipping from China via GadgetInfinity.

I've had my Cactus V4's for a couple months now, and I have only had one issure, related to LoS when trying to light a small cave. Other than that they've been great to me. Admittedly, I've only used them fairly close. Probably 25-30 feet max, and I'm very amateur so they don't get heavy use at all. Still, no complaints from me within those parameters.

Mel

Thanks for all the post's guys .... helpfull ... I think I'm guna order the Cactus V4's on MPEX and see how they work .... just debating if i should get an extra receiver at the same time or if i should wait to see how i like the first set

Although ....

Has anyone usded the LumoPro LP120 flash? Please provide me with any details ...thanks

I have 2 V4 transmitters and 12 recievers now. Yet to have an issue with any of them. Even with supplied cheap batteries.

They will wake up SB-600's but not on that first triggering. If you have your flashes with sleep mode set to on. They will not fire on that first shot if they are asleep. But as long as you take a shot before the sleep timer kicks in again. They will fire after that. I just turn sleep mode off on all my flashes. I currently use them with SB-600's, SB-80DX's, SB-28's, and SB-25's. Not an issue with any of them.

I have an LP120 as well. I got the whole strobist lighting kit from mpex.com (that's where I got the cactus switches) sans flashes, and an LP120 later.

I wish I hadn't gotten the other flashes I have, and gotten three LP120's instead. I have a Nissin di466 and a used Canon 550EX. The Nissin was a mistake. I was looking for a cheap TTL flash, but apparently it can't be triggered by remotes due to having no jacks and not using the standard bottom contact. The 550EX takes FOREVER to recycle, even on 1/2 and 1/4 power.

The LP120 is dead simple. Everything is manual, the zoom is done by pulling out the head, the power is set by switch position on the back. It has a stereo jack, a pc jack, and it can be set off with a hot shoe adapter or optically. I have never had any trouble setting it off with the cactuses. I've had plenty with the Nissin (optically, since the cactuses don't work with it).

If I could go back and do it again, I might still get ONE TTL flash for any on camera use, but I would definitely get two LP120's.

Mel

Ok everyone ... i feel freaken stupid, but i just received my Cactus V4 Transmitter and Receiver .... and i cant seem to get them working ...

I have tried simple ways, cant even figure out which way the switch goes for on and off on the receiver, not sure if im on the right chanel and get no LED lights on .... the only thing that happens is my flash is triggered when i switch the on/off switch on the reciever ...

I have a Canon 430exii and a LP120 ........... please help a noob with first time triggers ... step by step to get it working

First of all, make sure the transmitter and receiver are both on the same channel (meaning that each of their white switches are both set the same). The receiver is ON when you can see the red on its switch. You can verify that they're sending/receiving by pushing the button on top of the transmitter. The red light on the transmitter should blink, and so should the red light on the receiver. Then just put your flash on it, and your flash should fire when you do this too (assuming flash is on manual, set up correctly, etc). On my Nikon, as long as the transmitter is on the hot shoe of the camera, it will transmit the signal every time the shutter is released. Anything Canon-specific I can't hep with, unfortunately.

Hey Keven ... thanks for the info .... the LED (red) lights do not turn on ... nor is it triggering anything ...

I made sure both the transmitter and receiver are all on the same channel (switched the exact same). I put my flash on the receiver and turned on both ... than pressed the transmitter test button ... and nothing, no red light as well

How likely is it that I have received a bad transmitter ... as there is no red light going off? Also, where is the battery located in the transmitter .... how can I change it?

I don't have these triggers but I have heard of quite a few people getting them DOA(dead on arrival) It's possible but maybe you just have to replace the battery try everything before you give up.

K, how do i replace the battery on the transmitter ... i dont see a door, or anything to slide off. Anyone know?

I believe that you need a small phillips screwdriver to take the transmitter apart. It's a known issue that they ship the recievers with weak batteries. Maybe you got a bum battery in the transmitter.

I have not had a problem with any of my Cactus items, even using their batteries initially. Maybe I got lucky.

Unfortunately I am overseas or I would take one apart to tell you how.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back