California coast c&c

nmoody

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
After spending a few months on here learning I think its time to ask for my first c&c. These were taken near or at Pigeon Point in California. The day was kinda cloudy and there was a fog in places.

DSC3103.jpg

DSC3071.jpg

DSC3083.jpg

DSC3114.jpg

DSC3135.jpg

That bad huh? Any help that can be provided on how to improve these would be great. I know I have lots to improve, I just need a place to start.

I wouldn't say they are bad, just not interesting. Sorry. I do like the last one with the yellow flowers, but I feel like I was to seem them closer and from a lower vantage point? I'm just a noobie too but that's my two cents.

No, not that bad, not at all. More like close, but no cigar. There are elelments of each shot I like and I don't like. I'll talk about one to give exaple. #5 I feel is the strongest in your set. Nice use of forground, colorful flowers. sharp seagrass. You used to large an Aperture (no idea what it is) and as a result your DOF is too shallow, the ocean is blurred. If you wanted to blurr the background you might try getting much closer to your "subject" and having it, your 'subject' be a major player in the frame, which it isn't here.

Most landscapes are shot with smaller apertures, to allow the highest DOF and detail within the entire frame.

Another tip is to wait for that big wave, the one that will splash high up into the air!

Peace :)

Horizon. Because of your perspective, your height, the horizon is too high in the frame. Get down, lower your body so that the horizon is either 1/3 from the top or not in the picture at all.

By the way, I know this area of CA like the back of my hand, there are a number of really nice hidden beaches ;)

I agree with Trevers analysis. Close, but needs some improvement. The important part is you are trying and experimenting to get the look you want. All of that knowledge will help you grow and increase your skill.
I have shot around that area as well, its full of amazing beaches.

Some friends of mine in Santa Cruz might be able to give you inspiration on beaches / how you want to approach seascapes. Santa Cruz Nature Photographer Joshua Cripps and Underwater, Landscape, and Outdoor Nature Photography by Jim Patterson

Thank you all so much for the helpful information.

Here is the EXIF data on #5:
Date Time Original: 2012:04:30 09:12:31
Exposure Time: 1/250
F Number: f / 16
Exposure Program: Manual
ISO Speed Ratings: 200
Metering Mode: Pattern
Flash: Flash did not fire
Focal Length: 70mm
White Balance: Auto white balance

momo3boys: Thanks! I will work on my positioning some more =)

Trever1t: With #5 I used f/16, based on what you said I should of used something more like f/8 or should I bring it to something like f/5.6? I liked the background but I guess I was trying to capture too many things in one shot. The flower on the post and the sea background should of been two different shots. I can see now that the background is overwhelming and taking focus away from the flowers on the post.

Spacefuzz: Thanks for the links, I will check them out.

So it sounds like the biggest thing I need to work on is composition. This includes my kinds of subjects, how I place them in view and what apertures to use make them stand out. Well time to pick up some composition books then.

I didnt hear any comments on white balance or exposure. Are these "ok"? Those are the things I have been primarily working on the past few months.

Yes your white balance and exposure look pretty good.

You might have fun if you get some GND filters shooting more golden hour stuff.

f16? Did you intentionly blurr the seacape in post or is it just really misty? Sorry, it looks blurred as though you used a larger aperture.

They're not horrible, but I wouldn't call them great either. If this was your first shoot, pat yourself on the back. You're starting to use basic ideas... My biggest complaints are:

the fog in the first 2 almost look like you got something on your sensor and its not picking up those areas....... you put the fog in the same place in both pictures (about halfway down on the picture).
2. on 4 the foreground looks good, but it looks like you lost some contrast in the background...... but that might just be my bias. i like REALLY contrasted and saturated photos.

good idea though, this place looks pretty awesome.

spacefuzz: Thanks for the idea, I will pick one up.

Trever1t: It was not an intentional blur. Yes there was some fog but not enough to do what happened. I assumed it was because I was so close to my focal distance to the object. I was using my 70-300 at 70mm and was only like 4-5ft away. I really should of changed to the kit lens at that point. EXIF data are in the photos if you wanted to check other things.

Khaelbee: Isn't that funny how I positioned them the same in both examples. Yeah not the sensor, that is really how it looked which is why I took a picture of it. Thanks for the feedback!

I really appreciate the feedback all, thanks so much.

Most reactions

Back