Calling all Classical music fans

Wow, you guys!... Awesome.

I think it's time I invested in a faster internet connection. It's time I gave my home speakers a real treat.

Just bumping this thread for all of you that may not have tuned in yet.
You can still listen to past programs you may have missed and there is still a whole load more of wonderful music yet to come.
Go on - give your ears a treat.

Meh. I'm not a fan of Bach, but I'll tune in anyway. It's an interesting idea to play all the works of an artist for a whole week.

But Hertz, Bach is not classical music. It's Baroque. Classical did not start until around the mid-1700s, after Bach died. As an omnipotent being like you claim you should know stuff like that.

Perhaps some time they'll do a similar thing for a real classical composer like Mozart or Beethoven. Then I would be interested.

Unimaxium said:
But Hertz, Bach is not classical music. It's Baroque. Classical did not start until around the mid-1700s, after Bach died.

Uni, you are both correct and incorrect! You are correct saying that Bach's music is Baroque and Classical didn't start until after Bach's death. But Hertz is referring to the Classical genre of music as opposed to Jazz, Rock, Gospel and so on. Baroque, Classical, Romantic, post Romantic, Contemporary, Minimalism and so on are all parts of the Classical Music genre.;)

Unimaxium said:
Perhaps some time they'll do a similar thing for a real classical composer like Mozart or Beethoven. Then I would be interested.
They already have - you missed them.
And both Beethoven and Mozart considered Bach a genius.
As for your nit-picky comment - all the sub-genres are modern appellations. As Mitica says, I was talking about the type of music in it's broadest sense. Sometimes when I have to think down to your level I overshoot (but not by much) :lol:

Where did I put that thunderbolt?.....

Mitica100 said:
Uni, you are both correct and incorrect! You are correct saying that Bach's music is Baroque and Classical didn't start until after Bach's death. But Hertz is referring to the Classical genre of music as opposed to Jazz, Rock, Gospel and so on. Baroque, Classical, Romantic, post Romantic, Contemporary, Minimalism and so on are all parts of the Classical Music genre.;)

It is true that "Classical" is often used as an encompassing term referring to the genres from Baroque through Romanticism (and possibly beyond), but I believe this usage is more of a colloquialism, perhaps being bastardized from the word "classic". Quoting the Oxford American Dictionary, "Classical music is formal and sophisticated music adhering to certain stylistic principles, esp. those of the late 18th century." Thus, I believe that "Classical" should refer to the Classial genre only, and not to the whole range of genres that existed between the 1600s and early 1900s. I mean, should we refer to Blues, RnB, and Rock and Roll as the same genre because they came from the same roots?

Intro to Classical Music

What is classical music?

When asked the question, “what is classical music?”, elevator music comes to the minds of many people. Although it is grossly inaccurate to say that classical music is elevator music, the two terms are similar in one way. They are both a generic term applied to a type of music. Classical music encompasses many styles of music spanning over 700 years.

Origin and Definition

The term classical music originates from the Latin term classicus, meaning taxpayer of the highest class. Slowly after making its way through the French, German, and English languages, one of the earliest definitions of the word meant “classical, formall, orderlie, in due or fit ranke; also, approved, authenticall, chiefe, principall.” Today, one of the ways Merriam-Webster defines classical is “of, relating to, or being music in the educated European tradition that includes such forms as art song, chamber music, opera, and symphony as distinguished from folk or popular music or jazz.”

Periods of Classical Music

Music historiographers classified the six periods of music by stylistic differences.
Styles within Classical Music

Many styles of music exist within classical music; the most recognizable being the symphony, opera, choral works, chamber music, Gregorian chant, the madrigal, and the Mass.

====================================

All this is not mine, to be found at:

Classical-Music

Hertz van Rental said:
They already have - you missed them.
Darn.

And both Beethoven and Mozart considered Bach a genius.
I'm not saying Bach wasn't talented, I just don't like him. :p

As for your nit-picky comment - all the sub-genres are modern appellations. As Mitica says, I was talking about the type of music in it's broadest sense. Sometimes when I have to think down to your level I overshoot (but not by much) :lol:
I got nit-picky because I dislike seeing the term Classical used as a generalization to all the kinds of music that originated during the nearly three to four centuries that span the time period from Baroque to Romantic to 20th century "classical" music. To me it demonstrates a lack of understanding of the genres. I mean, Bach and Rachmaninov have very different styles, and were from very different time periods, but yet they are both Classical? Are B.B. King and The Beatles both Blues artists? After all, Rock grew out of Blues, and both artists were from much closer time periods than Bach and Rachmaninov. So why aren't those two genres generalized along with R&B? Because they are just as distinct as Baroque, Classical, and Romantic are.

Edit: tagged on to this post rather than making a new post:
Mitica100 said:
Today, one of the ways Merriam-Webster defines classical is “of, relating to, or being music in the educated European tradition that includes such forms as art song, chamber music, opera, and symphony as distinguished from folk or popular music or jazz.”
Another way it defines classical music is "of or relating to music of the late 18th and early 19th centuries characterized by an emphasis on balance, clarity, and moderation"

Unimaxium said:
I got nit-picky because I dislike seeing the term Classical used as a generalization to all the kinds of music that originated during the nearly three to four centuries that span the time period from Baroque to Romantic to 20th century "classical" music. To me it demonstrates a lack of understanding of the genres. I mean, Bach and Rachmaninov have very different styles, and were from very different time periods, but yet they are both Classical? Are B.B. King and The Beatles both Blues artists? After all, Rock grew out of Blues, and both artists were from much closer time periods than Bach and Rachmaninov. So why aren't those two genres generalized? Because they are just as distinct as Baroque, Classical, and Romantic are.

Well, sort of like Football (in Europe, Soccer here), American Football and Australian Rules Football. All being Football games.

Seriously though, I can understand your frustration with the term 'Classical' but since that's what it is that's what we use. Contrary to what it demonstrates to you, I think I can be very able to understand the genres, it is what I do for a living, day in and day out. I deal with Bach, Brahms, Beethoven, Vivaldi, Prokofiev, Bartok and Tchaikovski on a daily basis. If you can think of a better term defining the entire span of the so called 'Classical' music, go ahead and use it, no one will get offended. :D

Meanwhile I'll beg Hertz not to use his thunderbolt... :lmao:

Unimaxium said:
I got nit-picky because I dislike seeing the term Classical used as a generalization to all the kinds of music that originated during the nearly three to four centuries that span the time period from Baroque to Romantic to 20th century "classical" music. To me it demonstrates a lack of understanding of the genres.
People only understand the genres of subjects they know about.
The original distinction was between Classical music and Popular music. It's broad and simplistic but allows the vast majority of people to understand what you are talking about.
Do you make any distinctions when you talk of Art? Painting and Sculpture, maybe, but how often do you say 'Artist' or 'Painter' when you mean 'Surrealist', 'Fauviste', 'Vorticist', 'Cubist', 'Pre-Raphaelite'?
In reality anyone creative is not in the least interested in labels. They do what they do. It's the people who come after who try to categorise them - but only to try and make sense of it all.
As for Bach and Rachmaninov - the latter owed quite a lot to the former and certainly couldn't have done what he did if composers like Bach hadn't paved the way. There is a definite connection - how else do you show it without lumping them together?

And don't forget, it's still going. Another 24hrs yet! Culminating with his Christmas Oratorio on Christmas Day.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/bach/
How many composers in any genre have produced so much work?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back