voodoocat

))<>((
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.voodoocat.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I found the ultimate DIY project. My wife and I plan on getting a house in a few months and I want to build a theater room. I first found out about DIY projectors from Tomshardware using an overhead projector. But I don't want a big ugly overhead projector in my theater room...
Anyway.. onto the plans. http://www.lumenlab.com

WOW! Definately let us know how this goes for you! I'd love to try something like that when I have some time this winter break! the pictures in the gallery look awesome, looks like its a pretty genuine deal!

Zach :D

Yeah, the pictures in the gallery got me hooked... so I splurged and bought the plans which allowed access to the other forums. There are some really knowledgable folks and some fun project logs that got me really excited about the deal. I'm not sure if I want to build a 17" and have 1280x1024 resolution or stick with the 15" plan... :scratch:

This is really interesting now that I've been going through more of the site. What are you looking to spend for the total cost of this project??? I would love to see the progress you make with it when you get your feet wet! thanks for the link too!

I was looking at about $500 for the 15" projector cost. If I go 17" it'll probably cost a few hundred more. It's a league above the $1500 projectors that have 800x600 resolution with a crappy contrast ratio and low lumens.

Awesome! So I guess the most expensive part would be the LCD screen... That's cool. well like I said, just keep us posted on your progress! I may purchase the instructions myself!

Indeed. Though the light is a fairly hefty price itself. An electronic ballast will run about $90 and the lightbulb is $50. Those commercial projectors have $250 lightbulbs and they don't last as long....

voodoocat said:
Indeed. Though the light is a fairly hefty price itself. An electronic ballast will run about $90 and the lightbulb is $50. Those commercial projectors have $250 lightbulbs and they don't last as long....

Yep those bulbs are expensive but they last for a really long time....my old painting "sinse" 's art studio use bulbs very similar to these and he's had them for a reaaaaaallllllllyyyyy long time. Good luck Vcat!!! It seems like it's gonna be much more fullfilling on so many levels rather than simply buying a really expensive piece thats' gonna break in a year and you have no idea how to fix it....this way you know what yer putting in it and how to fix it with awesome results.... let us know the about the outcome cuz I've been eyeing a HT projector section in the ole B&amp;H catalog myself.

If by really long time you mean 1-2,000 hours.... But the metal halide lamp has a lifespan of 20,000 hours. And the replacement bulb costs $50.

Most reactions

Back