Calling all Yidden

jocose

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.musingsofjocose.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I live in a Christian country and a Christian world. I accept that. As a matter of fact, I love Christmas time because I honestly believe that from Thanksgiving to Epiphany (or a little thereafter) people are genuinely nice and sincere when they wish you a happy holiday.

I personally have no problem when strangers wish me a Merry Christmas. I mean, when I'm at the store, I don't expect the person behind the counter to say "If you are a Christian, Merry Christmas, if you are Jewish, Happy Chanukah, if you are a Muslim, Good Ramadan, if you are an African American, a Splendid Kwanza." I just don't want to talk to them for that long, so it's just easier just to accept that it's a Christian world and smile and say Merry Christmas back. Besides, they are trying to be friendly.

So, those who know I'm Jewish (and who couldn't really), never really know what to say to me. They always get so uncomfortable and ask if they are supposed to wish me a Merry Christmas, or what they should say. If I like them, I tell them they can either wish me a happy holiday or a happy Chanukah.

What really annoys me though, are the clueless ones. One of our secretaries (not the brightest bulb on the tree) said to me the other day, "So, your Jewish, right? So you don't celebrate Christmas, right?" To which I replied, "correct." Then she said, "Well, what do you do on Christmas." I told her that like all Jews in the US, I will probably watch a movie and get Chinese food (actually, I usually get sushi or Indian, but I thought that would be too much for her). She pauses for a moment, in what I can only assume was deep thought, and says, "Well, you do have Christmas dinner with your family, right?" And I politely said, "No, it's not our holiday. It's just another day for me." After another brief pause, she started in again, "You don't have Christmas dinner? Well, I guess you don't even have a Christmas tree." Again, I tried to be as polite as possible, and said, "Well, no. I don't have a tree, either. These things really aren't part of my religious traditions." Then she turned away; clearly she was done with me, and mumbled to herself, "I don't know what harm there is in having a Christmas tree."

So, this got me to wondering. I assume that I'm not the only Jew on the Forum, and I was wondering what other interesting experiences my fellow Tribesmen have had with similiar experiences.

Oh, and I have more stories if you want.

Bless your heart! :lol: That IS a clueless person. I have worked with lots of Jewish people and am used to allowing extra time off for Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur in October. December is fair game since we all share holiday time. :)

I can't imagine not respecting other people's holidays. But some folks just need to get out more. :hug::

Next time, ask her if she lights her menorah for 8 nights, along with her Christmas tree. That oughtta get you a confused look!

Sure, more stories are welcome. I can imagine you've heard some doozies.

Just don't call me a shiksa and we'll get along just fine. :mrgreen:

jocose...that's hard to believe unless this girl commutes from central VA every morning!!! ;)

Rob said:
And don't be calling me a shegetz either!! :)

See I get this multi-cultural malarkey.

Rob

Rob, You have defnintely gone up a notches in my Your-the-cool-Londoner ranking! Most folks know shiksa, but few know shegetz!

When my parents moved to Maryland, my mom really wanted to live with the Jews (understandable), but sadly, we are the exception to the rule, and we are actually POOR Jews (yes, there are a few), so we lived on the poorer side of the Jewish community. Anyways, that meant that I didn't go to the snobby Jewish school, but the normal middle class middle school. As the poor Jews in my neighborhood became the nuveau (SP) riche, they moved on the better side of town, and more and more undesirables moved in. As a result my school went from eh, to just plain bad. My parents got fed up with the cops being at the school daily to arrest someone for something, and decided it was time for me to move on to better things. As such, they decided to send me to private school.

As we were on the poorer side of middle class (see paragraph above if you are coming in late), they couldn't afford the snobby Jewish private schools, and they refused to pay more for my high school than for my sister's college. So, after looking around they settled on a prestigous, historical private school that was very inexpensive because it was heavily subsidized by the Archdiasis (SP). Yup, they sent me Catholic school. My mom was a little worried, but she figured that if she hadn't instilled Judaism in my after 16 years, it didn't really matter. Also, when we were talking to the vice principal, she asked if my being Jewish would be a problem, to which he replied, "if there IS a problem, I want to know about it right away. We'll take care if it." That settled it for my mom, and I spent the last 2 years of high school education in a private Catholic school. And it was a damn good thing. I honestly believe that that is what got me into college. I only had one problem--my chemistry teacher would call me offensive things, but he always couched it in "teasing." and it was always in his office just the two of us. Once I raised my hand in class and he called on me, not by name, but "Begs"--his shortened version of "Bagel." That was the last straw. I ignored him until he called on my by name. He also used to ask me why I was Jewish, "Wouldn't it just be easier to be Christian?" HMMM, to me that sounded like trying to convert me, so when the last straw was reached, I was ready to report him to the Principal. He pulled me aside after class and apologized. He never spoke to me again in the hall, and tried his hardest not to call on my in class. I passed with a C. I didn't report him.

So, that long winded story is to say that I'm pretty well versed in Catholicism; Oh, and the Girl is Catholic.

Sorry, my boss just walked into my cube, and I lost my train of thought.

Umm, another story? Hmm, I got one once, same set up as before--asking about my Christmas Day events--when someone asked me what I was doing for Christmas. Again, I said that I didn't celebrate Christmas because I was Jewish. Their response: "But you believe in Jesus, right? I mean, he was a Jew also."

core_17 said:
:lol: I'm sorry Jocose, but your story almost made me spit my hot cocoa all over my 'puter!

Yup, us Jews are laugh riot! It's that self depricating humor that we have perfected!

So, not that I want to out anyone, but who else is Jewish on the Forum. Seriously, I can't be it...

But, I'm used to being the token Jew and the resident expert. The Rabbi is in if all you goyim have questions!

jocose said:
Yup, us Jews are laugh riot! It's that self depricating humor that we have perfected!

So, not that I want to out anyone, but who else is Jewish on the Forum. Seriously, I can't be it...

But, I'm used to being the token Jew and the resident expert. The Rabbi is in if all you goyim have questions!

Well, would it make ya laugh if I told you I live in a teensy farm town and have never known any jewish people in person, and I know more about the faith than the lady in your original post does?

awww.....someone is stumping for a new title, I think! :lmao:

core_17 said:
Well, would it make ya laugh if I told you I live in a teensy farm town and have never known any jewish people in person, and I know more about the faith than the lady in your original post does?

Yea, you would think more people would know about us. I mean it's not like we haven't been around since biblical times...

Most reactions

Back