Calumet: another one goes under....DONE

OH, MAN....bummer...I bought my first studio flash setup from them back in 1986...sorry to see them go under.

The Internet is killing brick and mortar camera stores. Raise your hand if you bought your last camera from a walkin camera store.

Joe

+1 Derrel, I hate to see any company like that go. More competition means better/cheaper for consumers, plus it means more folks working!

The Internet is killing brick and mortar camera stores. Raise your hand if you bought your last camera from a walkin camera store.

Joe

+1

The internet is killing all retail. I'm an amazon.com shareholder, not walmart or best buy

I better buy their $60 tripod before they close their stores near me!

I'm not privvy to Calumet's books or anything, but my gut feeling is 1) too many store locations and 2)too much emphasis on slow-selling, higher-end "pro gear". I think their business model was just not suitable to the "new economy" where one mega-website can do all the selling, and in that way, minimize monthly rental/lease costs, payroll costs, and the task of stocking inventory in multiple locations...the trend has been toward web-based ordering, not multiple brick and mortar locations. B&H and Adorama each have one physical store, but they manage to serve the entire country. Calumet's older model of regional outlets just does not seem to be that cash-efficient now that on-line shopping, on-line research, and on-line BUYING have become so commonplace.

bets on next one to fall? or wait, is there a brick chain left to fall?

Joe

I'll raise my hand, but only half way because I bought it from BestBuy.
+ 1/2 BestBuy here too for my d7000
my d600 came from Adorama

But doesn't Nikon/Canon keep their new camera sales close to Retail across vendors ?
It's just everything else including package bundles, etc !!

A few camera shops around here too have closed throughout the years. First they tried to expand there offerings to probably compete against the online places. But that probably couldn't stop the onslaught of lost sales to online.

I liked Calumet for some things, they had a great large format selection (mostly for me to drool over), and I used to really like how their site was laid out (though they changed it). Their studio rigging selection was also really good and well organized.

But comes to think of it, I am unsure I ever actually bought anything from them.

I liked Calumet for some things, they had a great large format selection (mostly for me to drool over), and I used to really like how their site was laid out (though they changed it). Their studio rigging selection was also really good and well organized.

But comes to think of it, I am unsure I ever actually bought anything from them.

+1

Brick and mortar shops nowadays are just store fronts for online sources.

We have a small independant store here in town that have been around forever and ever - Belle Arte Camera. He's staying in business by shifting to carrying stuff you can't get on Amazon or at Best Buy. Collectible stuff, consignments, supplies for dark rooms and printing, special studio lighting. He does a lot of workshops and teaching, and has a rabidly loyal customer base. If you want to try a lens, or see how something feels, he's the place to go, and if you're selling/buying used equipment it's the only place.

Joe

:bounce:

Couldn't find an emoticon with its hand raised, so you get the bouncy guy

I make a point of supporting my local guy, and even pay a little extra sometimes to do so.

Most reactions

Back