I want to upgrade my camera bag to a nicer one that will house the following

Canon dslr
70-200 lens
17-55 lens
50mm lens
100mm lens
430 speedlite
Accessories

Any advice on what you guys are using. I just got the 70-200mm f/2.8 and it made me realize I want to Better protect my investments.

Thanks

Is there anywhere local to you that carries camera bags? Theres a bunch of good brands, Crumpler, Think Tank, Lowe Pro, Manfrotto etc. But they all feel a little different and sometimes its really just what feels best to you.

Bear in mind that Manfrotto bags are generally rubbish. Even worse than their stablemate Kata. Clik is Ambitious but Rubbish. LowePro is slowly improving again. ThinkTank for the win.

Why are they rubbish? (out of curiosity, I don't own one, but a buddy seems to like his).

Manfrotto? The material is CHEAP, the logo is HUGE. The metal buckles are pointless, clangy and sharp. There's even a pocket with the label that says "pocket." Really crappy nylon indeed!
Clik? it's more adventure than Photographer. Too many zips everywhere. The series with the integrated support...heavy. Heavy as carrying a tripod in the first place. And still rubbish...in terms of stability. Crumpler...more pretty than practical. The material is decent but they are more interested in making it look good than having a good carrying capacity.

lol I <3 my Crumpler 5mil. It fits 5 lenses, my camera + hot shoe flash and extras. Its also a built like a tank, so I don't have to worry about it being kicked or fall a couple feet or whatever. I don't like that its a messenger though >.< I'll have to take a closer look at my friend bag though, are we talking about the same thing? AGILE V SLING BLACK STILE C. - Stile | Manfrotto The material is still in question, but I don't see any of the huge logos/buckles pockets on this one- eta oh I see pocket! that's kinda cute <3

t320_b36309d3537293c63280eeda4d9e1b4b.jpg

see the pointlessly big metal buckle on the left that'll cut your fingers? The entire back echoes the Manfrotto Tripod logo.

Bossy said:
Is there anywhere local to you that carries camera bags? Theres a bunch of good brands, Crumpler, Think Tank, Lowe Pro, Manfrotto etc. But they all feel a little different and sometimes its really just what feels best to you.

Yes, there are a few. I will check this out. I am looking for something very padded and roomy. Anything will be an upgrade from my canon backpack bag!!!

t320_b36309d3537293c63280eeda4d9e1b4b.jpg

see the pointlessly big metal buckle on the left that'll cut your fingers? The entire back echoes the Manfrotto Tripod logo.

The buckle keeps the top secure, no? Thats a good thing to have if you're shooting somewhere busy, like the city. Or even just to make sure the zipper doesn't slide open. If its sharp thats dumb though. I didn't even see the tripod logo til you pointed it out though. At least its not huge letters or something.

LowePro is slowly improving again.

I wasn't aware that the market leader had degraded?
LowePro are top bag makers plus give out lifetime warranties (which I've read they do honour well). They are certainly very good camera bags and they have a very large range of models and variations. The one crit I would say is that most of them are camera bags, with fewer (that I've seen) catering to a camera+regular content type bag.

LowePro is slowly improving again.

I wasn't aware that the market leader had degraded?
LowePro are top bag makers plus give out lifetime warranties (which I've read they do honour well). They are certainly very good camera bags and they have a very large range of models and variations. The one crit I would say is that most of them are camera bags, with fewer (that I've seen) catering to a camera+regular content type bag.
Oh they completely have. The stitching on some of the huge bags are only single row of stitches with no reinforced straps. They are the market leader and they have failed to innovate. The LowePro bags of a decade ago are far better built than the current ones. Yes, there's a lifetime warranty and they do honour it much to the chagrin of a lot of the dealers but they are watering down their line with far too many SKUs. The zippers and pulls from LowePro are highly prone to breaking and failure. ThinkTank in contrast uses ridiculously oversized YKK zippers. LowePro has been cost cutting and allowing their accountants to dictate design rather innovate and stay ahead. The rollersuitcases from LowePro are heavy and expensive. ThinkTank was started when 2 of LowePro's top designers left and wanted to make good bags.

Bossy, check out the buckles on Lowepro...they are way better than that fiddly thing Manfrotto has. Now check out ThinkTank buckles: silent, easy to operate

LowePro has become the bag of choice of the higher end amateurs. At the pro-level, close to 90% of photographers have now switched to ThinkTank. LowePro was the market leader in the same way Cadillac was once the last word in Luxury cars. I have several from both brands. LowePro because this was before ThinkTank found a good distribution channel in Canada, and because I had some given to me as swag.

Now I don't work for ThinkTank, I don't even sell bags any longer. But take a look at ThinkTank first and if they don't carry it, maybe check out LowePro.

Lowepro flipside 400aw, nice bag, not to expensive, all weather cover and straps for tripod

Is anyone using the think tank street pro series? It looks pretty spacious online, but I want to ensure it can hold all my gear.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back