camera bag

wet

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was wondering if I should ask how do you guys deal with this:

I sometimes have my camera + 100-400mm (~3 lbs, maybe?) or 70-200mm lens when I was walking in the zoo or when go hiking. Instead of keep taking it in & out from my backpack, I would like to find a solution where I can just grab it on the fly. At the same time I have other lenses & flash & accessoriesd I wish to carry with me. Which bag would you recommend?

I have lowepro backpack & I can get my camera in & out from this bag pretty quick if I have both hands free & not too much distracting but now I have a 25lbs parasite who can run very fast so I have to be able to quickly throw my camera into its place & free up my both hands to prevent him from getting in trouble.

With no bag solution, would you carry them by holding to the lens fearing the lens mount might break or you just hang on on your neck?

My problem occurs mostly when I want my telephoto lens to be on my camera for a long time.

There are so many bags out there (ain't cheap) but I just cannot find the best solution.

Thanks guys, you guys are always resourceful & helpful.

I have three bags.

1) Big enough to carry everything that I own that's related to photography in any way. This usually stays in the trunk. On rare occasions, I'll bring it into a church or reception hall if I'm shooting the event. (I'm not a pro but, in the family, it's accepted that I'm always the second shooter.) Unfortunately, my Stroboframe bracket doesn't fit in anything smaller than a steamer trunk so that (along with the cable) always goes by itself.

2) Holds camera with one mounted lens plus an unmounted lens plus a flash head plus two hoods and two filters.

3) Holds two lenses, three hoods, four filters and a partrige in a pear tree. Camera body with mounted lens carried separately.

How about those messenger bags? They're probably the '' fastest '' bags I know of. I'm sure you can find one which fits all your gear easily as well. Crumpler makes a few of these.

Or if you rather a backpack design for those tired shoulders , how about those lowepro slingshots? I think you grab the camera out of the side pocket so it's still quite fast , you don't need to take the bag off and fiddle.

I also have several camera bags. I have a Lowepro backpack style bag that is great for hauling gear but terrible for accessing the gear when I need it. I have several shoulder bags that are easier to get in and out of, but I don't want to be carrying too much in a shoulder bag for an extended period of time.

As mentioned, the Slingshot bags are a hybrid of those two styles. You can carry it on your back but also swing it down for easy access. A friend of mine has the Slingshot 300 and it looks pretty good. It has some good waist straps to supplement the shoulder strap, so long hikes/walks wouldn't be a problem.

Of course, other brands make similar styles so look around.

Most reactions

Back