Camera Bags

For traveling I have a Lowepro Fastpack 350 ( Lowepro - Fastpack 350 )
I bought it because it will fit everything I want to take when traveling (minus a tripod and monopod) while fitting in the overhead compartments of the planes. Usually I'll pack it with my "travel zooms" 17-40 f4L, 24-70f2.8L, and 70-200f2.8ISMIIL. I'll also have my 15mm fisheye and 580ex2 with cybercync transmitter and receiver, 5d2 with batterygrip, and neckstrap all in the camera compartment. There is a compartment above the camera compartment that holds my pelican memory card case, lens pen and color checker passport. The upper compartment holds; a pouch with all of my lens hoods, my filters, external flash battery pack, battery chargers, tripod head, and any cables I need. The laptop compartment usually holds my laptop or a collapsible 5-1 reflector kit.
The pack is great for traveling, and once I get where I'm going I'll take out what I don't need at the time and replace it with snack and drinks etc. For just going out to shoot solo for a day it can be a bit much though.

converted an adidas messenger bag.
i like it better than all my other bags. it easily holds my d1x with 18-70 mounted, sb600, and 50 1.8 just in case...so its great for daily carry.

had 2 shoots on saturday, and managed to add to it another body with grip, second flash, and then batteries and triggers and ****.

You guys need to learn about style. Black black black black black.
More like I'm cheap cheap cheap cheap cheap cheap :p

I got my bag for 50% off. Wasn't going to quibble about the color.

8674a3e2-882a-4e50-b257-366e4552944f.jpg

I even keep a couple putters in the front slot for appearances, and incase I get a chance to play a little.

You guys need to learn about style. Black black black black black.
More like I'm cheap cheap cheap cheap cheap cheap :p

I got my bag for 50% off. Wasn't going to quibble about the color.

If you want cheap, just pickup any decent shoulder bag from anywhere (goodwill, arm surplus, ebay, etc) and put a towel inside. You could also use a diaper bag as some suggested... some of them have a little padding.

^ That would be cheap and practical. I can't do both.

I'm not sure why anyone would skimp on a camera bag. I know for one that I could chuck my camera bag down a flight of stairs and everything would be alright.

Don't go cheap on a camera bag; protect your investment.

I'm not sure why anyone would skimp on a camera bag. I know for one that I could chuck my camera bag down a flight of stairs and everything would be alright.

Too bad I cant throw mine down the stairs...

My favorite:
cimg0003vr.jpg

cimg0002t.jpg

Its the Canon 200eg

I agree, but then people spend tons of money on camera and lenses and buy cheap tripods and filters for them, so no surprise. For me and my gear its either Lowepro or Pelican. Anything else is just asking for trouble.

I think this is one of the only pictures of it I have online right now...

Domke F-2 - holds 2 bodies, 5 lenses, a flash, and a few other odds & ends...

I keep seeing everyone mention lowepro. While I do have one of their slingshots and it is nice looking ( a bit small for my liking ), I find my tamrac backpack ( I also own their giant shoulder bag ) to be much more adequate and think I will be sticking with tamrac from now on. They seem to have pretty nice build quality.

This one's mine, but I'll be upgrading as soon as I invest in my Mark II 5D. That puppy is gonna be shrouded in metal if I can help it.

4897913005_1704fbc756_b.jpg

I agree, but then people spend tons of money on camera and lenses and buy cheap tripods and filters for them, so no surprise. For me and my gear its either Lowepro or Pelican. Anything else is just asking for trouble.

Two totally different stories... I may have cheeped out in the past with camera bags but not tripods. There is a definite difference between cheap and expensive tripods. Its difficult to "build" a tripod with the stability and functionality of the likes of Gitzo, Manfrotto, bogen, etc.. There are no substitutes... not like camera bags.. which are simply that... bags marketed towards a specific consumer. In fact, I have sourced several "non-camera-specific" camera bags that are far better made than lowepro and tamrac.

I have a modified igloo cooler that I would have zero issues putting my Leica into and tossing around. I even have a small lock on it. I have a messenger bag made from heavy duty canvas and the inside is 100% completely lined in heavy duty rubber. Took it with me to downpours (Niagara falls) and didn't have to mess with those "rain covers" built into a pouch underneath the bag like lowepro.

If you actually go outside of a camera store and search bags designed for military and/or other industrial uses, you'll realize that lowepro and tamrac are not as durable nor as quality for the $$$ they ask for. Don't get me wrong, i think they are designed with the photo-consumer in mind BUT build is something they can work.

One example that comes to mind... Pelican 1510 case $159 with divider. Sealed HARD case modeled after those approved for military use. Heck, you can even use one as a floatation device if you are stuck in that type of situation. Lowepro x200 SOFT ballistic nylon rolling case = $299. Its not sealed, its not water proof, its SOFT and almost twice the price. Up to this day, I have no idea why they still use 1 ply ballistic nylon... I think it should cost no more than $100... I'd even choose an equivalent Samsonite modify it with dividers and still be better off.

If you think creatively and carefully, a "cheap" bag with the proper modifications can not only provide protection but also provide the discreetness required to keep thieves and unwanted attention away. If you need dividers, Domke makes "ok" dividers and for a premium Billingham also makes dividers.

Last edited:
If you need dividers, Domke makes "ok" dividers and for a premium Billingham also makes dividers.
I have to agree about Domke's dividers just being 'OK'. I mean, it serves it's purpose, but it's nowhere near as rugged as the rest of the bag...

But ... it's just a divider, how rugged does it really have to be? :confused:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back