Camera Body & Press Pass Advice

"I also want to obtain a press pass to shoot festivals and concerts,"

Why?

Well DUH!!! Free Entry.. and special Super Extra Special Photographer Privileges! Like backstage access at all concerts (NOT!)! Free Autographs from all the Stars (NOT!) Free front row seats or photo Pit access at all events (NOT!) Free Booze everywhere you go (NOT!) Hot babes falling at your feet, just begging you to take nude shots of them! (NOT!) lol! (ah.. that glamorous Playboy-like life those professional photographers live... I am SO jealous!) (NOT!)

Can anyone else come up with some Super Extra Special Photographer Privileges? (don't forget the (NOT!))
You always make me laugh <3

Why?

Well DUH!!! Free Entry.. and special Super Extra Special Photographer Privileges! Like backstage access at all concerts (NOT!)! Free Autographs from all the Stars (NOT!) Free front row seats or photo Pit access at all events (NOT!) Free Booze everywhere you go (NOT!) Hot babes falling at your feet, just begging you to take nude shots of them! (NOT!) lol! (ah.. that glamorous Playboy-like life those professional photographers live... I am SO jealous!) (NOT!)

Can anyone else come up with some Super Extra Special Photographer Privileges? (don't forget the (NOT!))
You always make me laugh <3

That is often my intent! ;)

I am interested in concert/live photography and want to take photos with my D5K, but places won't allow semi pro/pro camera but will let everyone with their point & shoot snap away. I usually hang around the front row when I go to shows but I don't really get much space to move around, hence me wanting a press pass. It's not about meeting anyone or getting into free shows, I want to be able to build my concert portfolio and hopefully shoot for certain publications as a freelance or staffer (I do understand that a lot of places are downsizing).

Consider adding something like the Sony NEX-5n to your stable; with the 40mm pancake lens on it, it looks like nothing more than a large-ish P&S, but turns in a reasonably decent low-light performance and has some good glass to go with it. One thing to be aware of if you go into a concert or event with press credentials, you're often not allowed in for the whole show, often just the first set or even first couple of songs, and the media area is going to be just as crowded as the regular seats, AND since a lot oft he people there are shooting to put supper on their table, they're probably not going to be terribly welcoming or accomodating to a 'nobody' who just shows up.

You need to try going to smaller shows. Find a way to talk to the people in charge of small venues, explain what you're wanting to do, and keep at it until someone lets you in.

You need to try going to smaller shows. Find a way to talk to the people in charge of small venues, explain what you're wanting to do, and keep at it until someone lets you in.

This... start hitting clubs and bars with live bands, etc... and get permission to shoot from the band members / establishment owners. Build up a portfolio to convince the bigger guys that you are worth it...

This... start hitting clubs and bars with live bands, etc... and get permission to shoot from the band members / establishment owners. Build up a portfolio to convince the bigger guys that you are worth it...

Best advice in this thread!

Why?

Pretty negative there, seeing as photographers DO get some of those special privileges depending on the artist and their management. Concert photography is very rewarding when you're shooting concerts that you want to be at. I've been covering shows for three years now and I still get a rush every time I enter the photo pit.

That said - it IS a difficult area of photography to get into. To start, it's rather narrowed - not everyone is out there doing it (successfully), so it's hard to find good advice when you're a beginner. If you're not already familiar with him, check out Todd Owyoung: The Best Music Photography & Band Portraits ? Todd Owyoung. He has some great tips and tutorials, as well as gear suggestions and reviews targeted to concert photographers. The suggestion to start by shooting local shows IS the best you're going to get. If you do it right, you'll be building a portfolio up while networking with bands and venues.

The next step gets a little more complicated. You're most likely not going to get press passes into national acts if you aren't covering for anyone. Managements want the people they let in to be promoting their artists, so why would they waste their time on someone who is not benefiting them at all? So what I recommend is that you either get cozy with a nearby venue and try to become a house photographer OR find a publication to work for. It can be a bit of a catch 22, because people don't want to hire you unless you've got a stellar portfolio - but how do you get that when no one will let you in to photograph the names that everyone knows? All I have to say there is: best wishes. Luck was on my side.

As far as gear goes: do not upgrade until your gear is limiting you. If you're getting paying gigs, then hopefully the people paying you put enough time and effort into researching your work and they hired you because they approve. If not, then that's their own fault when they don't get the quality they want. Chances are, no one aside from you notices a crack in your lens or that your camera is missing a little rubber piece. You're going to look a lot more tacky than that the first time you have to shoot an outdoor festival in the rain. Once you have MASTERED your gear - meaning, you understand every bit of manual mode and white balance, as well as the general composition of an image - only then should you upgrade. I will qualify that for concert photography, f2.8 (or lower) lenses are the exception to this, as you simply won't get enough light in a small venue without it.

Anyway. Like I said - best of luck; if you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me as well.

Small venues. Find a venue that you like, check their listings to find a band that has a bit of a buzz about them, ideally uses Facebook / twitter a lot, and go ask the venue if you can shoot them. A 50mm 1.8 is a great start for fast glass in small venues.
When you're done, post them up on social media, tag the bands, and send links to the promoter, the venue etc. I have free access anytime I want to 3 venues right now from doing this, and I've only been at it a month or so. It's a buzz when the artist uses your shots on their FB page!
Build from there, gain your chops...

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

You can get a refurb D600 for ~$1500, or a used D700 for a little less from KEH or adorama. Get yourself a 50 F1.8g, an 85 1.8g and a cheap zoom/prime for the wide end and your covered.

Not sure what to say about a press pass. I've always just been given them by clients for a specific event.

I feel very fortunate, after shooting for about a year, there was an upcoming show I wanted to cover. I emailed 3 editors and though I didn't get to cover that event I wanted, one of them replied and they offered me a gig on the same date, I took it. This year when the show came back to town guess who got to cover it... :)

The emails I sent I feel were to the 'right' people. I dug and found lists of editors and their specific departments so I knew I wasn't barking up the Sports editors tree when I needed the Night Life editor.

But also important to start small and get practice. I can't even begin to tell you how nervous I was when I got my first gig.

It's not all that glamorous. I got mine through and insider I know. :D All major orgs were there, ABC, AP, Ghetty's Images, etc. It was mix of pros and semi-pros bodies.

You got to take photos of la petit Wayne?

Why?

You get free use of all the latest greatest camera equipment (NOT!) and an assistant to act as VAL (NOT!)

Most reactions

Back