Camera body upgrade help

Jimmyn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,
i currently use a d40 and would like to upgrade to a better camera and that should have an in camera motor because undo have an old AF lens. I usually do landscape, HDR, and portrait styles.

The price for a used d90 is now quite affordable (around 500) and I am thinking about buying it. Questions:

- is the image quality of d90 much much better than the d40?
-should I not look at the d90 and spend a bit more on something else?

Thanks for your help.

The D90 is a great camera and has many features that are way better then the D40 so I say you should go for it! Better ISO-capabilities, built-in focus motor, faster. It's alot of camera for the money.

Otherwise a used D7000 is of interest? It's an ever better camera.

The D90 is a great camera and has many features that are way better then the D40 so I say you should go for it! Better ISO-capabilities, built-in focus motor, faster. It's alot of camera for the money.

Otherwise a used D7000 is of interest? It's an ever better camera.

^^^absolutely agree!
the D90 is a great camera and is fairly cheap now on the used market. the D7000 would be a step up from the D90 and is the top end DX camera nikon currently produces, except for maybe the D300s, depending on which features you feel are more important.
I would absolutely recommend getting a used D90, and if you can spare a few extra bucks, a used D7000 or D300s. any of those will FAR out perform
a D40, and will NOT be easily outgrown.

D90 is a great upgrade from the D40. It still keeps you at the back end of current cameras and if you can I'd also look to the D7000.

If you don't need video a used D300 will give you a much better body for less than a used D7000. But, you will have to figure in for the cost of CF cards. But you would also lose auto mode and scenes. But I believe that losing these features will help you grow as a photographer.

For my needs a D300 would go further with metering of Ai and Ai-s lenses. Fine-tune lenses feature and build for outdoors.

Otherwise my D90 has been a great performer and what I upgraded to from a D40. D40 only lasted me 9 months before aching for more. The D90 has lasted me last 3 years and near the 68k clicks mark with nary a problem! Great Camera and around $500-$600 mark a Great Buy!

Thanks everyone for your recommendations. I have found a great D7000 with less than 2K shutter counts for less than 800, which is 300 more than a used D90. I will probably end up getting the D7000. That will stay with me for many more years to come.

Thanks everyone for your recommendations. I have found a great D7000 with less than 2K shutter counts for less than 800, which is 300 more than a used D90. I will probably end up getting the D7000. That will stay with me for many more years to come.

thats a good price for a D7000 with less than 2k clicks. and worth the extra money over the D90.

Jimmyn said:

That's a good deal. Prices on both have dropped a lot over the last 6 months.

Yep the D7000 recent price drop to $996 new has forced the used prices down. Now seeing them in the $700-$800 range. Making the D7000 the new King of "Bang for the Buck" which the D90 held for last 2 years. And will take you far over the next few years.

orb9220 said:
Yep the D7000 recent price drop to $996 new has forced the used prices down. Now seeing them in the $700-$800 range. Making the D7000 the new King of "Bang for the Buck" which the D90 held for last 2 years. And will take you far over the next few years.

Now only if the d300s dropped in price lol.

Yep a bit surprising it hasn't yet. Would have expected it to drop down to the $1200'ish price slot by now.

Recently saw postings on CL of D300S for 899. I am sure it can be obtained for 850... Not sure why nikon camera prices drop faster than that of canon...

i am asking another question, which should be a new thread but here it is:

For landscapes, what is the one lens that I should get that gives me the best bang for the buck? Should I stay with Nikon or can i get away with third party's? I only care about the image quality and not the brand.

Most go number one choice with the Tokina 11-16 f2.8 personally went with the Sigma 10-20 as don't do landscapes extensively. But gives great IQ and cheapest of the bunch. New $479 the Tokina at $600. But went used and picked up the Siggy for $300 used. If going to be doing a lot of landscapes as the main thrust then one of those. Or go full hog out and go with the Nikon 10-24 for around the $800 mark.

For wide for landscapes and more general use. Would look into the older Tamron 17-50 f2.8 non-VC around same new and use price points. 17mm-24mm range is wide for some types of landscapes. And has more usable 20-50mm range for more general type photography. And was a great killer workhorse combo on my D90. Also Sigma has a couple of variations in that range. Nikon version 17-55 is a great lens but at 3x the price.

Most reactions

Back