Camera cases. Whatcha got & are you happy?

RumDaddy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Ill have 2 bodies, 6 lenses and two 580-speedlites. Looking into a pelican 1510. Any suggestions when shopping for a camera case? Which do you have? Are you happy with it?

I dont have that much gear but i tend to use a lowpro slingshot bag to walk around with and lately general travel too but i do have a pelican for situations where the "bag" may be dropped or get wet or in high humidity areas.

Over all i am happy with both. I felt safe with my 5D MKII on the back of my motorcycle with the pelican... It was better protected then me.

I have a LowePro Passport Sling and it's too small.

:/

Pelican is pretty much the king of the hill when it comes to cases... I just wish they were cheaper. :lol:

They have a size for every need...

A Domke f2 for every day use, and looking into a pelican 1600 with padded dividers. The Domke is a GREAT bag. I love it.

Pelican is pretty much the king of the hill when it comes to cases... I just wish they were cheaper. :lol:
They aren't all that expensive, considering you're getting a practically indestructable, waterproof case for your camera gear. Be mindful the 1510 won't fit in all regional jet overhead bins.

The 1510 with foam is only $130 - Pelican 1510 Case with Foam (Black)

and the 1510 with dividers is only $158 - Pelican 1510-004-110 Medium Carry-On Case with Padded Dividers

I also highly recommend getting the lid organizeer for $20 - Pelican 1519 Lid Organizer for 1510 Case (Grey)

The new Porter Case PCi is only water/dust resistant but costs $242. Porter Case PCi Camera Divider with Cart 22" (Black/Gray)

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
i stuff my gear in lowepro pro runner 350 and a slighshot 102

They aren't all that expensive, considering you're getting a practically indestructable, waterproof case for your camera gear. Be mindful the 1510 won't fit in all regional jet overhead bins.

The 1510 with foam is only $130 - Pelican 1510 Case with Foam (Black)

and the 1510 with dividers is only $158 - Pelican 1510-004-110 Medium Carry-On Case with Padded Dividers

I also highly recommend getting the lid organizeer for $20 - Pelican 1519 Lid Organizer for 1510 Case (Grey)

The new Porter Case PCi is only water/dust resistant but costs $242. Porter Case PCi Camera Divider with Cart 22" (Black/Gray)

Yeah, for what they are - I guess it really is a good deal. I still wish they were cheaper though. :lol:

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
and I wish the 5dmkii were cheaper. lol.

I use a lowepro nova 4aw and like it a lot, I also have a smaller lowepro that will fit a body, a lens, and a flash and that's about it. I am outgrowing the nova 4 and may move to something else. I think they discontinued the nova line, i could be wrong. I also have a backpack that I use if I am going hiking and will probably use it when I start biking again, but other than that I don't like it. I just can't get used to them. I like having the case at my side when I need to dig in it for something and not have to always take it off and set it down. Maybe it's just me.

Todays the day I order a Pelican 1610 with the lid organizer. $290.00. Lid organizer is very important bedcause Ill need it to store my Canon 60D instruction manual.

Having recently lugged my gear to Peru for a trip to Machu Picchu, with most of it in a Billingham bag strapped to the handle of my rolling briefcase or rolling suitcase, as lovely as the Billingham bag is I was very frustrated by the difficulty of handling all the stuff at airports. When I returned home I checked out all of the commercial rolling cases and conclude that they wouldn't meet my needs. I was especially disappointed that none had pivot wheels, which I think are essential for anything that's rolled onto an airplane.

So I decided to build my own custom rolling case. I started with a high quality 20" leather catalog case with 2 skateboard wheels. It's long, wide, and tall enough to carry my three Nikon cameras with lenses attached, but without much wasted space. Using 1", 2", and 3" layers of dark gray foam, I totally customized the interior to hold the cameras with lenses facing down. The cameras and lenses sit in foam cradles and the bodies and lenses are completely cushioned. The top of the case holds all batteries and other supplies in custom foam slots. I removed the skateboard wheels and replaced them with pivot wheels at the four corners of the case (a task that required much cutting and modification to pivot wheel sets). The pivot wheels make it easy to roll the case sideways (or at any other angle) up narrow airplane aisles. The case fits into the overhead without any problems, and will slide under the seats of most larger aircraft. I also attached a Manfrotto heavy duty tripod strap to the case frame, which attaches the tripod very tightly to the side of the case and makes it very easy to transport the tripod.

I spent nearly a month working it but I now have completely unique case to transport my gear. It's totally suited to my needs, it's my handiwork, and it's far better than any of the commercial products, which is a reward in itself.

I'll post some photos as soon as I get a chance to shoot them.

Last edited:
1510 all the way, a little small maybe for 2 bodies and all my gear but I probably could rearrange and squeeze a backup in there

IMG_0408.jpg

IMG_0407.jpg

IMG_0406.jpg

I'll add that the pelican 1560 fit's all my gear. Easily. And it is a well built, solid case, that ran me about $170.

Most reactions

Back