Camera & Equipment question??

Tburke11

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
What is possible to achieve on a professional level with my current equipment?

• Canon rebel T3i
  • [h=4]EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 image-stabilized zoom lens[/h]
  • Canon - 55-250mm f/4-5.6 Telephoto Zoom Lens
  • [h=1]Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Camera Lens (will be here Tuesday)[/h]
  • [h=1]Vivitar 285HV Auto Professional Flash[/h]

Get to know your camera. Shoot in manual if you aren't already.

I only shoot in manual. I have had my camera for 5 months an have already learned a lot but I want to know how far my camera can go.

Get to know your camera. Shoot in manual if you aren't already.

It is not the equipment... it is the knowledge and skill of the photographer! An experienced professional could turn out quality images with that gear. But unless one has the experience and knowledge of that professional, than even the best, most expensive equipment in the world... will not make one a PRO!

It also depends a lot on what you intend to be shooting. What kind of PRO do you want to be? Keeping in mind that there are a billion other "PRO's" other there without top-end gear, and without professional knowledge! That is a lot of competition!

My goal is to own my own studio. I want to specialize in portraits and keep my business local.

It is not the equipment... it is the knowledge and skill of the photographer! An experienced professional could turn out quality images with that gear. But unless one has the experience and knowledge of that professional, than even the best, most expensive equipment in the world... will not make one a PRO!

It also depends a lot on what you intend to be shooting. What kind of PRO do you want to be? Keeping in mind that there are a billion other "PRO's" other there without top-end gear, and without professional knowledge! That is a lot of competition!

Thats up to you, and what your exceptions are. What are acceptable IQ, high ISO, build quality...etc. I had a D7000 for six months and dumped it because I shoot in the rain a lot and needed a full weather sealed body.

My goal is to own my own studio. I want to specialize in portraits and keep my business local.

Portraiture? Cool! I would worry more about learning lighting and posing than anything else! Learning to use monolights / pack and head units / modifiers and reflectors, and posing are much more important to portraiture than what camera and lens you are using. The 50mm you have might do.. the other lens, probably not. With a crop body... you will be limited in lenses you can use in smaller spaces, especially if you want to shoot full body shots. I would suggest better lenses... like the 50mm 1.4 or 1.2

Studio work is very little about the camera body, and very, very, VERY much about the lighting and lenses. You can do a lot of great work with speedlights, but you need several, and you need modifiers: soft-boxes, umbrellas, etc.

Your asking the WRONG question. You should be asking what do I want to capture not what can't capture with this gear.

To have and maintain a retail photography business you will also need business skills - accounting, marketing, promotion, salesmanship, customer relations - and a business/marketing plan.
Starting & Managing a Business | SBA.gov
Free Small Business Advice | How-to Resources | Tools | Templates | SCORE

All your gear is consumer, entry-level grade.
So a key is going to be having a good understanding of your gear's limitations, and having a good solid foundation of the fundamental of doing portraiture - lighting and posing.
Master Lighting Guide for Portrait Photographers
Direction & Quality of Light: Your Key to Better Portrait Photography Anywhere
Doug Box's Guide to Posing for Portrait Photographers
Minimalist Lighting: Professional Techniques for Studio Photography
Minimalist Lighting: Professional Techniques for Location Photography
The Business of Studio Photography: How to Start and Run a Successful Photography Studio

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back