Camera for 6 yrs old boy

ntz

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Omg,

I bought for my 6 yrs old nephew an used (but in very good shape, body is like new and shutter counter shows 4400 shots) Nikon 5100 + Nikon 18-55mm DX + Nikon 55-200mm DX .. and this all for $270

I am so happy .. I am only afraid, that it will ruin my photography experience now because I will have to be taking him with me for my weekend photo hikes ..

I think you would agree on this or should I be looking for some real junkier camera ?

regards, dan

nikon-d5100.jpg

Wow, what an opportunity to bond with your nephew.

That said, I think your expectations for a 6-year old may be a bit high. My 7-year old granddaughter liked going out with me and shooting my camera... for about a day. Their interests change quickly at that age so I doubt he will be joining you on all your photo hikes.

As for the gear, since you didn't spend a fortune for it stick with it. Put the 18-55 on it and put it in automatic mode and let him just have fun with it. As he grows and if his interest grows too he will have a capable camera to grow into. Then when he becomes a fanatic he can buy his own gear.

He will probably end up wondering why he can't post to FB from the camera, like he can with a phone, and not knowing the difference in image quality, give up the camera as useless.

I had a similar experience with my granddaughter, wanted to see what taking pictures was like. I let her carry an abandoned point-and-shoot around as the family wandered the local park. She got a few nice images but didn't understand what to do with them next. Dumping them to the computer before being able to share them was just too much "work."

I'm trying to encourage "real" cameras as much as I can in the kids and grandkids, but cellphone cameras have changed their expectations of what they do with pictures.

Wow, what an opportunity to bond with your nephew.

That said, I think your expectations for a 6-year old may be a bit high. My 7-year old granddaughter liked going out with me and shooting my camera... for about a day. Their interests change quickly at that age so I doubt he will be joining you on all your photo hikes.

As for the gear, since you didn't spend a fortune for it stick with it. Put the 18-55 on it and put it in automatic mode and let him just have fun with it. As he grows and if his interest grows too he will have a capable camera to grow into. Then when he becomes a fanatic he can buy his own gear.

yeah, ofc that he can have tomorrow different hobbies ... but now it seems that he likes it .. and I don't like him running around with my cameras ... Here with my Fuji X100F because here he cannot demand changing the lens :D

DSC_0313-vojta.jpg

Think of it as passing on the craft to the next generation instead of using a phone. You'll have to be more creative w/ your photography on the days you take him with.

I hope your 6 year old like the camera but I have my doubts.
My grandkids were the same dead keen on the photography then something else took their interest
I bought a point and shoot that was water proof
Now it’s just another item in the toy box

Loved the posts. :) When I was younger, my father gave me an old camera. I can't recall what it was. I used to one of the few among my peers who had one. Just loved having it. What tested my patience was waiting for my parents to get them developed.

Reactions: ntz
As suggested, set it up to point and shoot and let the kid have fun. As also mentioned, a camera phone is most likely in his future but he has an option when it is not enough camera.

I chuckle when I hear folks talk about getting a "real" camera. When I was doing some astronomy I mentioned wanting a real (i.e. larger) telescope. I was repeatedly reminded the "real" telescope was the one you use all the time because it was easy to set up and use. When it would not do the job, then it was time to haul out and set up the big boy.

I love to play with all the whiz bangs and whirly gigs I have acquired for my Canon. I have taken some really unique shots. But for an everyday dog walk, I will take my old Olympus 3.2 Meg that drops easily into my jacket pocket.

As suggested, set it up to point and shoot and let the kid have fun. As also mentioned, a camera phone is most likely in his future but he has an option when it is not enough camera.

I chuckle when I hear folks talk about getting a "real" camera. When I was doing some astronomy I mentioned wanting a real (i.e. larger) telescope. I was repeatedly reminded the "real" telescope was the one you use all the time because it was easy to set up and use. When it would not do the job, then it was time to haul out and set up the big boy.

I love to play with all the whiz bangs and whirly gigs I have acquired for my Canon. I have taken some really unique shots. But for an everyday dog walk, I will take my old Olympus 3.2 Meg that drops easily into my jacket pocket.

my nephew teams with me often on my photo hikes .. he knows already what is real camera .. he has even his own (technically not his) tripod .. he distinguishes very well what is real camera with lens, zoom, live view and all that stuff ... I bought him this used D5100, awesome ... it has < 6000 on shutter counter, like new, two lenses included (18-55, 55-200), he's very happy now that he can practise all those lessons I've explained to him regarding the photographic triangle - AP, Shutter speed, ISO ..

NTZ

You are indeed fortunate. Not only are you building memories for the future but you are laying a solid photography foundation for him to return to, after the cars, clothes and girls phases of youth.

Reactions: ntz
When my neighbor turns 6 I'll let him use an old 30D. It is tough as nails and if he learns to keep the strap around his neck he'll have a camera to use for a long time.

I think we're thinking along the same lines. It also teaches responsibility, and the consequences if one doesn't take care of one's gear.

I got both my younger kids the Fujifilm Finepix XP130's a few years ago for Christmas. They still enjoy using them whenever we go out. My middle daughter is now 12 and I think she's about ready to upgrade to a DSLR if she's interested. When they're younger I think a simpler rugged camera is probably better (it also depends on the individual kid and how responsible they are) so they can focus on learning how to frame their shots. I think most kids would get turned off having to learn about aperture and shutter speeds when they're younger as they don't have the patience to really learn it yet.

NTZ

You are indeed fortunate. Not only are you building memories for the future but you are laying a solid photography foundation for him to return to, after the cars, clothes and girls phases of youth.

haha .. I am on the other hand ruining my photo hikes and my calm peaceful flow when this little devil is rushing and yelling around :D ... all wild animals in about 300 yards around are making themselves disappeared too ... I had a little plan that failed, plan to disincline longer hikes to him .. I told him that on the outdoor hikes shall all men care reliantly for themselves - only exception is women - so he should carry all his stuff including food, water, clothers and all camera gear ... didn't work., normally when he comes out with parents, they carry all his stuff and anyway, he usually starts sniveling after some time that his feets pain and that he's tired ... omg, not with me and even while carrying his stuff .. so this didn't work

Last edited:
I think most kids would get turned off having to learn about aperture and shutter speeds when they're younger as they don't have the patience to really learn it yet.

Agreed. When I let the neighbor use the 30D I'll just stick it on the green "A". If it sparked an interest, when he is older, I wiil add more variables.

Most reactions

Back