Camera For Driving

sophos562

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello everyone! I'm an amateur photographer and finally have enough money and sense to buy a quality camera. As of now, my only "camera" is on my smartphone.

I take a lot of road trips by myself and there are a lot of views I've seen but had to drive past. Is there a decently priced camera that takes decent/average pictures that I can mount to my car (inside or outside) for while I'm driving?

And if you know an efficient way to set it up that'd be cool too!

Thanks.

I don't know if you would be happy with the pictures taken while moving. Also, if a camera is mounted to your dash, it might not be aimed at the scene you wish to capture. Can you stop the car safely and then take your picture?

Yes, there are cameras that mount solidly to something, such as a ski helmet for instance, and then there are cameras that are capable of making better pictures. Probably not the same camera.

Personally, I would rather take my time, stop the car in a safe place, and then make my picture.

You're going to get blur... I shoot out the car window but pull over and stop first.

I agree, I believe there are cameras made that are used to film action but I don't know if those shoot still photos, and those I think would be specialized cameras. Is the GoPro one that photographers use for that?? heard of it but don't know much about it.

You could try looking up a place called (I think) Film tools in Hollywood that carries supplies for movie making; they do carry items for still photography too, so you might look and see what they have.

...you can buy a suction cup mount for your cell phone,or....................a gopro.I just finished taking 240 shot with my gopro mounted to my side window with surprising (to me) results. $20140109_159.jpg

....other than a re-size it's SOOC,about 45-55 mph.

Last edited:
I''d go with the Contour + GPS over the GoPro for in car action. Just personal preference :)

There is almost 0% chance of getting any decent looking photo from a moving car on a road where nobody is even aiming it.

If you want to capture beautiful scenery that you drive past, at the VERY least you need a skilled photographer in the passenger seat, and even then like 90% of the shots will be janky and full of power lines and asphalt or not close enough or too close or blurry, and never ideally composed, because the photographer is not choosing the composition.

Ideally, you just need to find the nearest exit or wide shoulder (if its a small road), get out, maybe walk a bit, get the right angle, and take a normal photo.

Also, if you're happy with photos taken from a fixed position on a car, you don't need to buy ANY equipment. These photos have already been taken for you, and are viewable at a place called google maps street view.

Stability is the my first lesson of photography. I doubt why you prefer take photos in the car. But if you really want, I still recommend you take static photos first.

I'm afraid a IS lens and a mount is helpful for driving shooting.

Most reactions

Back