Camera/lens compatibility

Bunty61

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a Nikon D7000 and would really like to purchase a Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L lens but not sure whether the lens is compatible with the camera. Can anyone advise me about this please?Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L

If you want that lens, sell the Nikon and get a Canon.

Short answer: No

Longer answer: You need a lens with the Nikon "F" mount so that it can fit onto the Nikon. Nikon, Sigma, Tokina, Tamron, etc all can be bought with an F mount. If you look at a Sigma, for instance, you will see it is available in a variety of mounts ,,, Nikon, Sony, Canon, etc There are adapters, but I don't think there is a Canon to Nikon adapter due to various design issues.

And for that amount of money to get that lens, you have alot of options available on the Nikon mount side. I'd like to get a Sigma 50-500 myself.

Each DSLR camera brand has it's own lens mount.
Plus cameras have differing flange focal distances - Flange focal distance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In 1959 Canon used the R-mount, Then they changed to the FL-mount. The FL-mount was replaced by the FD-mount and in 1987 Canon dropped the FD-mount in favor of the EF mount. The EF-mount (44.00 mm FFD) was designed to allow Auto Focus, which was the new BIG THING in the late 1980's. Canion later introduced the EF-S mount in 2003. The Canon EF-S mount can only be mounted on Canons EF-S camera bodies (APS-C size, AKA crop size image sensor).

Nikon's lens mount is the F-mount (46.50 m FFD) and for the most part is unchanged since 1959. Nikon found a way to add Auto Focus without having to redesign their lens mount in the late 1980's.
I do not know of any Canon lens to Nikon camera body adapters.

OK thanks for that info. I actually have a Sigma 70-300mm lens but not totally happy with it. I had a 200mm Sigma in the past which was excellent but then all my camera equipment was stolen. Have heard good things about the Tamron. Would also like more of a zoom hence the 400mm. Was thinking of the Canon lens cos it always seems to come out tops wherever I read about it.

You have a few alternatives. As mentioned sigma 50-500, also there are sigma 150-500 and 120-400, however Tamrons New 150-600mm is getting favourable reviews but is not yet out in Nikon mount. If you have a budget for the Canon all the others mentioned should not be out of your cost area

Thanks for all the replies. Brain fuzzy with all the reading of various reviews etc but focussing on the SIGMA 150-500mm. Seems to fit what I am after within my budget. Ideally I would like the Nikon but at a €1000 more it is a bit out of budget. Need to do a bit more thinking about the Sigma 150-500mm before deciding. Would love some feedback from someone who actually owns one.

Thanks for all the replies. Brain fuzzy with all the reading of various reviews etc but focussing on the SIGMA 150-500mm. Seems to fit what I am after within my budget. Ideally I would like the Nikon but at a €1000 more it is a bit out of budget. Need to do a bit more thinking about the Sigma 150-500mm before deciding. Would love some feedback from someone who actually owns one.
I have a 150-500. It is my back up lens so I don't use it too often. Many others here have them and for the price it is a good lens. At 500mm you really need to shoot it at f8. here are some sample shots.. https://www.flickr.com/photos/coastalconn/sets/72157638701809165/

The Tamron 150-600 may be better, but no one knows yet since it has not been released for Nikon yet...

Most reactions

Back