Camera & Lens Recommendations

DigiMediaPlus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit

Hello all,

I am a beginner photographer with a keen interest in getting started in wedding photography.

I realize that it is difficult to provide a "one size fits all" recommendation for a camera + lens and I understand it ultimately depends on the style of wedding photography I am looking to achieve.

Without asking too many questions or running through "if this", "then that" scenarios, I am looking for the best general wedding camera and lens recommendations for someone who is looking to take very solid wedding photos. And it cant break the bank either. ;)

Thank you so very much in advance for your recommendations! I look forward to hearing from you.

Lisa

Welcome to TPF.

I am no expert but you can use any camera. If you don't want to use an iPhone, I would get a good speedlight, off camera speedlight bracket, and a medium range 2.8 zoom lens. You are now a professional wedding photographer, good luck.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

First of all, we need to know your budget. "Not break the bank" could mean anything from $100-$10,000.

Secondly, you need to understand that wedding photography is, in my opinion, the most difficult type of photography there is. You have to be able to capture high speed, low light images in constantly changing conditions without getting in anyone's way while battling a crowd of increasingly drunken relatives. You don't have second chances. You don't have time to fiddle with settings or reference a book or phone a friend. And if you screw it up, you have the wrath of a bride to deal with, along with the guilt that you've ruined their only pictures forever. I wouldn't trust anyone to do a wedding that didn't have at least ten years of serious study already.

What I'm trying to tell you is that whatever camera you choose now will not be the camera you eventually shoot a wedding with. By the time you are ready to shoot a wedding, all of the current cameras will be woefully outdated and you'll have upgraded to something current and competitive. So it's best to focus on the best interchangeable lens camera that you can afford.

Which brings me back to my first question: what is your budget?

Thanks Cheryl for your feedback; I appreciate it.

I am currently looking at the Nikon D750, which is on the upper end of my budget, but doable if it performs as well as they cliam -- here it is:

Nikon D750 Digital SLR Camera & 24-120mm f/4 VR Lens with 64GB Card + Battery & Charger + Backpack + 3 Filters + Flash + Kit with NIKON USA Warranty - 1549-85007-Kit

It seems the Nikon D750 has wracked up some pretty good reviews however. Thoughts on this camera? on the kit and its components? There is another kit offered but it seems to be missing some important components.

-Lisa

First of all, we need to know your budget. "Not break the bank" could mean anything from $100-$10,000.

Secondly, you need to understand that wedding photography is, in my opinion, the most difficult type of photography there is. You have to be able to capture high speed, low light images in constantly changing conditions without getting in anyone's way while battling a crowd of increasingly drunken relatives. You don't have second chances. You don't have time to fiddle with settings or reference a book or phone a friend. And if you screw it up, you have the wrath of a bride to deal with, along with the guilt that you've ruined their only pictures forever. I wouldn't trust anyone to do a wedding that didn't have at least ten years of serious study already.

What I'm trying to tell you is that whatever camera you choose now will not be the camera you eventually shoot a wedding with. By the time you are ready to shoot a wedding, all of the current cameras will be woefully outdated and you'll have upgraded to something current and competitive. So it's best to focus on the best interchangeable lens camera that you can afford.

Which brings me back to my first question: what is your budget?

You only need to post your question once.

That's definitely an excellent camera used by many wedding photographers. I think the preferred lenses would be a 24-70mm 2.8, a 70-200mm 2.8, and a good prime like a 85mm 1.8. I think the f4 lens that comes with that kit would be too slow for most weddings, though it would be very good for learning.

I can't tell which flash comes with that, but you'll need to learn how to use flash as well. I'm not a Nikon shooter, but I think their SB800 is the one I've heard the most about...you'll eventually want three or four of them, as well as modifiers and lightstands for each.

I do think that camera is too difficult for a beginner. It's not designed to be picked up and used by anyone off the street, it's designed for professionals who already understand the basics of exposure. Now, maybe you're not as much as a beginner as you claim, or maybe you already have an apprenticeship available to you. But other than that, I would choose an entry-level camera to learn with.

As an alterative, beginner-friendly camera, I am also looking at the Nikon D3300 You mentioned that you're not a Nikon shooter but do you know anything about this camera? or have heard any photographers using this and liking/disliking it?

Thank you, Cheryl.

-

That's definitely an excellent camera used by many wedding photographers. I think the preferred lenses would be a 24-70mm 2.8, a 70-200mm 2.8, and a good prime like a 85mm 1.8. I think the f4 lens that comes with that kit would be too slow for most weddings, though it would be very good for learning.

I can't tell which flash comes with that, but you'll need to learn how to use flash as well. I'm not a Nikon shooter, but I think their SB800 is the one I've heard the most about...you'll eventually want three or four of them, as well as modifiers and lightstands for each.

I do think that camera is too difficult for a beginner. It's not designed to be picked up and used by anyone off the street, it's designed for professionals who already understand the basics of exposure. Now, maybe you're not as much as a beginner as you claim, or maybe you already have an apprenticeship available to you. But other than that, I would choose an entry-level camera to learn with.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Yes, the 3300 has excellent reviews, as does the 5300. The 7200, I believe, is considered one of the best APS-C cameras available. All of the cameras have a smaller sensor than the D750, but the image quality is still excellent. It will be awhile before your skills get to the point where you've outgrown an APS-C camera. Even then, every wedding photographer I know has a back-up camera in case the main camera fails for any reason, so whichever you purchase to learn with now can eventually become your back-up when you upgrade.

I am looking for the best general wedding camera and lens recommendations for someone who is looking to take very solid wedding photos.

And you are a beginner? Then the camera you are looking for does not exist.

A solid photographer (preferably with lots of wedding experience) takes solid wedding photos. I don't mean to be rude but this is a case of putting the cart before the horse. You can spend 20k on the best cameras and lenses available and if you don't know what you are doing then the photos you take will not in any way be 'solid'. In fact, they will probably look worse then what other guests are taking on their cell phones. Maybe if you give us some idea of your experience level we can help you more. And what camera/lenses/gear do you have now?

I am focused on the Overall Value of the camera (what is offered to me for the price?
I looked at used equipment to maximize the value received for the price paid.

A used Nikon D7100 can be obtained for $600.

A used 85mm 1.8 lens for $400.

Unfortunately, that chews up your budget right there, but the value is solid.

Now, to be frank with you, that kit would not be sufficient by itself. Most serious wedding photographers will own at least two camera bodies, maybe four to six lenses, two or more speedlights, two or three studio strobes, light stands, modifiers, and a suitcase full of odds and ends. They will know how to use all of it to produce professional photographs under widely varied conditions and venues.

They will probably have at least one part-time employee to assist, and possibly a secondary designated shooter.

They will probably have a fully equipped office, including the necessary editing software, bookkeeping software, appointment software, and incidentals.

They will be licensed (if required), insured (a must), and will have a business plan that works. They will engage the services of professionals such as a lawyer, accountant, and a financial planner as required. Their contracts will be prepared by a lawyer, and they will not try to skate by by using some internet freebie.

Self-employed small business owners are responsible for paying taxes, both the individual share and the employer's share, health care, liability insurance, equipment insurance, retirement plan, sales and use taxes, utilities, rent, groceries, transportation costs, and everything else.

It all comes down to if the OP is going to do weddings, they're going to do weddings.

It all comes down to buy something new or used (better value).
then after that experience will play a key in it, then they'll start upgrading as time goes on.

on TPF we've seen a lot of newbie wedding photographers come and go.

Hello all,

I am a beginner photographer with a keen interest in getting started in wedding photography.

I realize that it is difficult to provide a "one size fits all" recommendation for a camera + lens and I understand it ultimately depends on the style of wedding photography I am looking to achieve.

Without asking too many questions or running through "if this", "then that" scenarios, I am looking for the best general wedding camera and lens recommendations for someone who is looking to take very solid wedding photos. And it cant break the bank either. ;)

Thank you so very much in advance for your recommendations! I look forward to hearing from you.

Lisa

If you are truly a beginner, you should not even consider taking wedding photographs professionally. Would you hire a beginner to photograph your wedding? Read what Designer and cherylnne1 have said above.

Hello all,

Lisa

Hi Lisa

Canon 7D 50mm 1,4 85.mm 1.8 or 1.2 or a 70 - 200mm 2.8 .
You cant go full open because you need some DOF.

You will be standing about 15 feet away with a 85mm 1.8 to get about 65% of there body in the frame.
Some pastors do NOT allow flashes to be used during the service !!!!!!

If you want to be serious about this you have to go full frame and invest in couple nice prime lenses. My recommnedation would to buy used 5D Mark III and 35 1.4 lens.​

Most reactions

New Topics

Back