Noob here

tomstevensone

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello, My name is Tom, I'm a senior trying to take better pictures of wildlife and scenery on vacations so I'm joining some photography forums looking for advice/opinions. I currently have a Canon Digital Rebel XT with a Canon 28 - 105mm 0.48m/1.6ft AF lense, a Canon 75 - 300mm 1.5m/4.9ft AF lense and a Canon EFS 18 - 55mm 0.28/0.9ft lense which we mostly use in the Auto mode. And yes, I know we don't utilize the full potential of the equipment we now have. While we were on vacation recently my wife offered to return the favor of taking a picture for a couple and was shocked by the difference in just looking through the viewfinder of that couple's camera. It was so much better than ours it was like night and day. So now, I'm on a quest to find a better, clearer camera system. I realize DSLR's have come a long way since the XT. We mainly take wildlife, landscapes and the pictures of us with a landscape background. We are retired and on a fixed income so we don't want/need top of the line everything, just a big improvement!!! I went to a local camera shop yesterday and the guy at the counter recommended a Canon Rebel T7i to use with my lenses. I feel that is underkill for what I want. I had the opportunity while in Yellowstone to view through another person's camera and 3ft. long lense a grizzly about 1/4 mile away and all I could see was a perfect shot of her head. Talking to the guy, he stated when he bought his equipment he has approximately $12-15,000 tied up in everything but that today I could get something equivalent for half that price. That is more of what I'm looking for. Not another Rebel I'll want to replace after my 1st trip and find out it won't make that 1/4 mile shot I want. The more I read the more confused I get. I am no way shape or form a pro or semi pro. But, I want that kind of results. When I see a moose 1/2 away on a mountain side and take a picture of it, I want to see the moose not just a dark speck. Maybe this will help ppl steer me in the right direction. Thanks in advance for any helpful guidance. Tom

Welcome to the forum, Tom! We're happy to have you on board.

Sounds like you're open to suggestions on various lenses and other gear. For that, check out our various Gear forums, where your fellow enthusiasts can point you in the right direction.

I hope you check out our Photo Galleries, too! I look forward to seeing some of your work.

Have fun!

Welcome!

Long telephoto lenses can be very expensive, particularly the good ones. Start by looking at examples of photographs made with lenses you might be interested in. Pay close attention to the quality of the images. Not all lenses are created equal, so a given 500mm of one manufacturer will not be the same as another 500mm from a different manufacturer.

Once you have decided on a particular lens, see what mounts they come in, whether Canon, Nikon, or whatever. Then you will know what body to get. When you have figured out what equipment you want, start looking for used examples in excellent condition.

At that point you will have your budget established, so you know how much you will need to save for your ideal equipment.

Welcome Tom.
This is an excellent resource for all thing photography and I'm sure with a little research and some questions you will find a system that is right for you.

Now onto the gear.

I have some of that expensive and heavy gear that you would be referring to and the previous photographer is correct you can get into big gear like this for a lot less than $12-15K but it will be used as mine is.

Now having said that I own this type of gear I don't always recommend it for a couple of reasons.

1. It's heavy. Not all people truly understand what it's like to carry for a day.
2. There is other equipment that will get you 90% there for 30% the cost.

The other thing to look at is that mirrorless camera's were a distant hope when the XT was new and now they are an excellent option (note I didn't say alternative).

Now that I've thrown a wrench into your camera search I'll provide the option I would go with if I were to start out again knowing what I know now with the intent of shooting the way I do now. Which is handheld shooting with one wildlife lens that will provide excellent quality

Olympus OM-D E-M1 MKII paired with Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 300mm f/4 IS PRO.

My reasoning for this specific combination is the excellent quality of the optics paired with great camera features. This combination will sacrifice a little light compared to larger sensor sizes but most wildlife is shot during the day so it is not much of an issue.
With the M4/3 sensor size of this camera it turns the field of view to nearly a 600mm lens on a full frame.

Last note. Never take anyone's word as gospel (including mine) when I comes to gear purchases. Always research and try to get hands on with the system you are interested in.

Good luck!

Most reactions

Back