Camera life span

danir

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm thinking of getting a DSLR.
I wonder how long do these cameras live. Can I think in terms of decades like with the mechanic cameras?
This will ofcourse determine how much I can spend on it.

Thanks,
Dani.

Depends on the "March of technology". And of course the life of the rechargable batteries, and any other support given for other componants.
Often companies will discontinue support for non current models. And with micro processors it is difficult to get a screwdriver into the back of it ...

Digital cameras are like computers today: disposable. You'll replace it long before it would be having problems related to age.

On a previous thread someone posted the ultimate words of wisdom, along the lines of:-

Lenses last a lifetime , cameras are replaced regularly. Get into a good system buy a good body, but spend the money on the glass...

On a previous thread someone posted the ultimate words of wisdom, along the lines of:-

Lenses last a lifetime , cameras are replaced regularly. Get into a good system buy a good body, but spend the money on the glass...

Gotta ditto this ^ and this (below):

Digital cameras are like computers today: disposable. You'll replace it long before it would be having problems related to age.

I have a Miranda from the 60's that still works. My Minolta works fine (film) and I suspect that will last for another 10 years, if not longer. However, my Sony? I think in about 2-3 years I will be replacing it with a different system and will be investing in lens to last.

Thanks everyone.

I thought about spending more on the lense.
But I don't think I'll be able to spend 900$ on a camera every few years.
Are there any brands that are considered more reliable in that sense?

Dani.

As said... these digital years have brought the idea that DSLRs are disposable. I would imagine that consumer level DSLRs from the major brands will have about the same life span. Manufacturers of higher end models will usually publish how many cycles the camera is good for.

Focus on the lenses then purchase the body for those lenses. I suspect that you'll be replacing the camera every 2-3 years.

Film wise... you'll find cameras 50 years of age still running strong.

I am only familiar with my own equipment, the Canon 20D is rated for 50,000 shutter actuations, and the 5D is rated at 100,000 actuations. That is quite a lot of pictures unless you are a pro.

Someone told me that the Nikon D-50's were good for about 100,000 shots. I have no idea where he got his info, so take it with a grain of salt... ;)

I heard Rebel XTs aren't the best, but it's srill hard to run it till it breaks. Worst case scenario, have the shutter mechanism replaced.

Most reactions

Back