Camera Manual

MWC2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.cynthialinderbeck.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The very best piece of advice I got was "read your manual and know it" 3 months ago my camera manual fell apart, it was well used and abused. I went on a search for a new copy. A craigslist ad later, I had a brand new manual for my 40D in hand, (I swear the thing was never opened and I secretly wonder if the person I purchased it from is on a photography forum asking "how do I get my camera to do x, y or z?"). 2 and half months later, this is what my "new" manual looks like:

6005596346_8ebb4ae996.jpg

6005050899_c4ecd2221a.jpg

I've downloaded the digital copy of the manual from Canon but I like to have the actual little book. Now go ahead and laugh at me, I'm a big old nerd when it comes to manuals, instructions or directions.

Camera Geek!

Seriously though, remind me to never lend you any of the books from my personal photography library! ;)

But in all real seriousness.. Good job for RTFM! I always play with my new toys for a few minutes then I RTFM too! :)

I not only have all my gear manuals on the computer as pdfs, but just about anything I buy I go in search of an electronic version of the manual / users guide / quick start etc. I keep them all in one subdirectory on my hard drive, and usually have to rename them. I hate it when manufacturer name a file for a 12X camera as 5tu83kd9956_44ft0aRRFT7789.pdf.

Many times, I will create two copies of the same file, such as one as "D7000 Manual" and another as "Nikon D7000 Manual".

I prefer to read a physical book, but I prefer to reference an ebook or pdf. Got to love the 'Find!" feature!

I prefer the physical book as well, I do have the pdf version saved on my external hard drive and I also have a copy saved on my Nook, renamed "40D Manual" (instead of what ever canon decided to name it). One day finding a copy of the manual for a 40D is going to be next to impossible, what if my 40D is still serving me well and plugging along? I need to have back ups, lol.

My Understanding Exposure book looks pretty beat up as well, lol. The rest of my photography book collection isn't nearly as "dead" looking, but they are all well read and used. Now my copy of "Lighting Cookbook" looks like hasn't been touched but I don't have any lighting yet, so I've only flipped thru it a handful of times. I'm sure it will get well used when the time comes. ;)

As long as you are reading them, and they are your books, no one can call foul on you for wearing them out. :)

Looks like you treat your manuals pretty rough.

But, the sure do contain valuable information. I too look through mine often, and often discover some tid-bit of information that escaped by notice previously, or more often it's just something I forgot about because I rarely, if ever, use it.

Most reactions

Back