camera mount question

beddingfield

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Got myself a tripod for Christmas and have an issue attaching the quick detach plates to canon ftb.

How do I do it? I thread the screw in just fine, but the camera still turns and its secured.

The detach plate has a joke of a spring loaded stud in it that is supposed to hook into a hole to prevent rotation. That's how it works when used on my Vivitar Series 1 630-1300 telezoom lens.

Any suggestions?

When you get that large of a lens, you should be mounting the lens instead of the camera.

When using a larger lens then you should not attached the tripod to the body but the lens, usually larger lenses have the necessary attachment.

Also, if the tripod socket hole on the lens/camera is shorter than the length of the threaded screw on the tripod plate, then it will not be able to secure properly.
Check the lens/camera tripod socket for any debris inside, or you may have a poorly designed tripod plate and you have to machine down the screw or add a rubber shim.

Should have been more clear then. Have the big lens attached to a detach plate as its permanent home, but am trying to get a canon ftb ITSELF attached to its own plate. Need a little help holding the camera steady for important photos.

The screw well screws in fine, but the plate just rotates freely. Its a polaroid tripod that can hold 20 pounds of camera gear on it. Do I need a different type of plate?

The screw well screws in fine, but the plate just rotates freely. Its a polaroid tripod that can hold 20 pounds of camera gear on it. Do I need a different type of plate?

If the plate is spinning despite being pushed up against the underside of the camera, then there's not enough friction between the plate and the camera. If the screw in the plate is removable, you might consider putting a washer in between the screw and the underside of the plate, or you might try putting a rubber-band between the plate and the camera body. If the former works ,the screw is bottoming-out in the camera before the camera is cinched own against the plate. If the latter, could be the screw bottoming out, or it could be that the camera and plate are simply too slick and you need to get a thin piece of rubber or something to put between them.

72" 183cm tripod PLTRI72
upc 8-92421 00240-0

upload_2020-1-11_15-14-18.png

If that is the quick release plate ... it cannot possibly rotate on the tripod head, as it it rectangular.

If the camera is turning in relationship to the plate, the plate isn't seated tight enough and the camera has enough torque to overcome the friction.

72" 183cm tripod PLTRI72
upc 8-92421 00240-0
The black knob is supposed to fit into a recess in the bottom of the camera or lens collar. If your camera does not have a recess at that location, then the black knob is doing nothing at keeping the camera from rotating.

You can either;

remove the black knob
add a shim under the camera
get the correct QR plate for your camera
add a lock washer or rubber washer under the camera
(maybe other)

Then
72" 183cm tripod PLTRI72
upc 8-92421 00240-0
The black knob is supposed to fit into a recess in the bottom of the camera or lens collar. If your camera does not have a recess at that location, then the black knob is doing nothing at keeping the camera from rotating.

You can either;

remove the black knob
add a shim under the camera
get the correct QR plate for your camera
add a lock washer or rubber washer under the camera
(maybe other)

what would the correct QR plate for a canon ftb actually look like? a hotdog bug that wraps around it somehow?

IIRC, the ftb has a standard ¼x20 thread. 'Pert near any ¼"x20 QR plate will work.

IIRC, the ftb has a standard ¼x20 thread. 'Pert near any ¼"x20 QR plate will work.
then somehow polaroid doesn't use a standard 1/4x20 cuz it sure isn't working

Most reactions

New Topics

Back