Camera Newbie Needs Lens Suggestions For Job

I used to work at an art gallery where their was a photographer doing what you will be doing.

I think that the nikon 35mm 1.8 or the 50mm 1.8 would be the best fits for your application.

But the 35mm Nikon lens may have issue with distortion. And that is why people usually recommend macro lens because of the distortion free and flat field characteristics.
Nikkor AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8 G - Review / Test Report - Analysis

Another over the budget but lower cost is the 35mm Tokina macro DX lens (which also cannot AF with your camera).
Also 35mm focal length also require less room. Good for smaller room or larger framed objects.

But then again, if you really need to keep it below $200 ... maybe this one Amazon.com: Nikon 55mm f/2.8 Micro Nikkor Lens AIS IMP: Camera & Photo will work. But of course, I am not 100% sure since I do not use Nikon. I guess maybe wait for someone who knows more about Nikon gears.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The 50mm may be a little long for shooting framed art, and the cheaper versions of that lens won't autofocus with your camera.

I'd suggest a 35mm f1.8 G. You should be able to find a used one for $200.

The cheapest option would be to find a 18-55mm af-s kit lens on ebay. That way you would have some $$ left over for some lighting equipment, which you will need for the best results.

I'll sell you an almost never used 18-55mm AF-S non VR for 100 shipped. I have not touched this lens in almost two years.

My suggestion would be to expand your budget and get something a little higher grade. A company that sells framed art on the internet should know better than to scrimp on the display of their works.

p!nK

The first quesiton you have to ask is "how important are the photographs of the art"? Here are various answers based on your answer to that question:

1) Your answer="Not at all important", return the D3000, get a point and shoot, use the on camera flash, be done for less than $100 and 2 minutes of work.
2) Your answer="mildly important, just to give them an idea of what it looks like", take the D3000 you have, get a 35mm 1.8 lens, set up a few hot lights (CFLs are fine), be done
3) Your answer="Critical. This is reasonably expensive art and they want to know exactly what it looks like", You need three things, a nice Macro/Micro lens (Nikon 60mm is a good choice), an excellent light setup (the above hot lights will kinda sorta work if you put a lot of effort into it), and a tripod. There is NO cheap solution for critical photos, period.

Allan

Most reactions

Back