Camera on a plane

Winona

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi. I have not flown in years. Headed to Zion, Bryce and Grand Canyon so bring my Canon with 18-135mm. I’ll probably regret not getting a nicer lens, but no time to research and decide what to get. Anyway, thinking of just sticking the camera in a backpack and bringing on the plane. I bought a small Ruggard Hunter 35 which should work. It will hold an SD card and a filter. Any other ideas?

my biggest dilemma is carry on bags. The small suitcases advertised as carry ons are 1-2 inches too big. Even the kids backpacks are 1-2 inches too big for under the seat. Going to see what triple A has, but any ideas? I might check one large suitcase but I was hoping to avoid all of us checking bags. Thanks.

First, there is no problem bringing a camera on a plane (just in-case you have fears about that). I refuse to ever check my camera gear, I always carry it on: camera, speed lights, batteries, extra SD cards, tripod--I bring it all.

Second, don't worry about the length of an item (like a backpack), it has to not be so wide it won't fit under a seat. If it's long, that just makes it hard to stretch out your feet. And the way you cope with that is: once you take off, pull the backpack out and put it on your lap. You can even use the backpack as a modest table (if you have a laptop or tablet or are watching a movie on your phone).

Third, how to store it? If you've got a backpack or messenger bag you use, then just get an insert. They'll be about $20 and you just need to make sure it fits whatever bag you're going to be putting it in. That will work perfectly.

Fourth, if you're headed to Southern Utah now, I strong suggest you bring a large ziplock bag and a cloth to clean your lens. You'll be getting out of a warm car into a cold environment (and back). Your lens will get condensation. You put your camera in the zip log back (so it's not a sudden warm or cold exposure). You have the microfibre cloth because you will get condensation and frost on your lens and will need to clean it up. Also, bring an extra battery. If you're hiking in cold weather, your battery will lose connectivity and look like it's dead. You just swap out batteries and put the "dead" one inside your jacket or under your arm and in 15 minutes it will be live again.

What airline are you flying? Frontier is tough (sucky seats, tight space, charge for carryon). But for United, Delta, American, etc. (ie: the main carriers) I can give you examples of what will work for carryon.

We are on United. Going in April. Thanks for the reminder about the plastic bag and cloth. Would have forgotten them. How do you manage your tripod as a carry on? And are there any concerns with the cameras or SD cards going through security? Last time I flew I was using film! Yikes I’m old. Thanks for your quick reply.

I travel with my d800 24-70 and 70-200, in a bag, in my backpack.

I've used a backpack a couple of times with no problems.

We are on United. Going in April. Thanks for the reminder about the plastic bag and cloth. Would have forgotten them. How do you manage your tripod as a carry on? And are there any concerns with the cameras or SD cards going through security? Last time I flew I was using film! Yikes I’m old. Thanks for your quick reply.
First, I"m headed to Southern Utah in mid-April (probably around April 16 or 17) and will start with Zion and then proceed East, hitting another 4-5 parks. So maybe our paths will cross.

Second, the tripod needs to fit on to a backpack or it's going to count as a carryon bag. It will easily fit in overhead storage. I've got a bunch of tripods and a monopod. The one I travel with folds up so it will fit in to a carryon bag (usually a duffle bag).

Third, there should be no concerns with cameras or SD cards going through security. Mine are usually in my backpack or messenger bag (with an insert) and security never takes them out.

I've attached two pictures (one of a Lands End messenger bag with an insert that allows me to carry a Nikon body and 2 lens--including a 70-200mm, the other of my travel tripod with a Nikon D4 body to help with size reference).

Now, I've often just slipped a camera, speed lights, lens, tripod in to a duffle bag or backpack and carried those on a plane. But that's when they were going to stay in my hotel. Or I was just going to shoot stuff close by (walking distance). If you're doing to be doing hiking with camera gear, you want to travel with some kind of dedicated camera carrying bag (backpack, messenger bag, etc.) which is where buying a $20 insert makes a lot of sense.

IMG_2573.jpg
IMG_2575.jpg

Off Topic, but if you can, hit up Bryce Canyon and possibly even Canyon De Chelly in Arizona. Zion is pretty, but I find Bryce Canyon to be particularly beautiful and because of its proximity to Zion, neglected.

Thanks for everyone’s replies. JoeW thanks the thorough explanation and pictures. I feel better now. We leave Utah the 17th but have fun! TWX-we are doing Bryce and I’ll look up Canyon de chelly. We might have time for a few side trips. Now to see what kind of bags I can find....

First, if you leave for Utah on the 17th, that is about the time I'll be there. My wife and I will fly in to Las Vegas and then drive to Zion. Then we're either going to drive to Bryce (near by) or Antelope Creek Canyon in Page Arizona. But we'll spend a week doing parks in Southern Utah/Northern Arizona (ending with Arches NP) before we head to the Utah Idaho border.

Thanks for everyone’s replies. JoeW thanks the thorough explanation and pictures. I feel better now. We leave Utah the 17th but have fun! TWX-we are doing Bryce and I’ll look up Canyon de chelly. We might have time for a few side trips. Now to see what kind of bags I can find....
Thanks! Glad to be of help. And at least the title to this thread was not "Snakes on a Plane"--couldn't be much help there.

The various camera bags as long as they "fit' into the bin that United advertises, no issue. The size is actually more an airline thing than TSA, but the regs are there.
The camera equipment i have long learned as many point out, can 'disappear" in checked luggage.

But given that your hiking, Id just carry one lens. The 18-135 works just fine, and unless you have the bankroll for an L lens, Id say pass. Plus the longer aspects of an L lens makes them uber heavy on a hike.
If its strictly for memories, stick with the 18-135. Then, enjoy.

Bag wise, the real issue is two fold.. Dust and protection. Dont go uber fancy or uber protective either. They get heavy quickly.

If your going to the Canyon (Grand) then don't forget to get as close as possible to Thumb point and Supia. The views are literally breathtaking.

If your going to the Canyon (Grand) then don't forget to get as close as possible to Thumb point and Supia.

I’ll look for those. Thanks for all the information.

JoeW-I meant our trip ends the 17 th. I wish we had more than 1 week, but kids only get the one week off. There is so much to see it was hard to narrow it down!

soocom1-part of me wants a great lens because of the beautiful country I may never see again. But it’s also hard to balance spending time on photos and keeping the family happy. They get a little impatient at times. Lol. But, trying to research and look for a good deal.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back