Questions about camera equipment and vacations

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by BrentC, Jan 4, 2018.

1. stk

stk TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Where I'm from alle travel insurances will cover your gear up to a certain amount, and you can pay a little extra if you have values exceeding this amount. I'll be surprised if this is not common practice in most countries.

• Like Like x 1
  2. SquarePeg

SquarePeg Nevertheless... Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    If this is a photo centric vacation, don’t leave your good gear at home - you’ll regret it. If you’re staying at a hotel they should be able to accommodate you. If this is a family vacation where you hope to take some cool photos - keep it small and light.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. BananaRepublic

BananaRepublic No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I have looked into insurance before. I my experience you want to name the camera and auxilary equipment on the policy for it to mean anything. many companies will cover the loss or damage of property in general, that covers your phone and cash and the sort but your unlikely to get the value of a camera and lenses unless there named specifically. Plus if it is stolen for example they are likely to demand a police report, good look with that in countries that dont have english as there main language, unless you speak fluently of coarse.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. zombiesniper

zombiesniper Furtographer Extraordinaire! Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Brent the only thing I'll tell you is fit what you need in one bag. That's it. One bag.
    Don't care what any hotel tells you. They will not be held responsible if anything goes missing.
    Choose one body (two if the Mr.s wants to bring one as well. One wild life, one macro, one gen purpose lens, basic lighting.
    No stands no other junk. If you need the light 4' off the ground be really nice to the Mrs. and she may hold it for you.

When we did our vacation this summer. Jr. and I had everything wee needed in one bag (for each) and it never left us since you never know when that next shot will arrive.
    We were able to do a rider on our house insurance but unsure if that'll fly international.

5. BrentC

BrentC Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit

Definitely only bringing one bag. It's just a matter of whether I bring my messenger bag or camera backpack. My camera backpack, that is the right size for overhead baggage, can fit all my lenses and gear I need including my 300mm. I was thinking of bringing my tripod so I can do hi-res landscape images but it is one item I don't mind leaving behind and probably will.

I have to decide whether my fear of something happening to my good equipment is greater than my disappointment of not having the good equipment with me.

My wife just wants a vacation but I'm looking at it as a photo opportunity.

Your probably right though and that I should limit to three lenses but that probably means leaving the 300mm at home and bringing a zoom in it's place since it's more versatile.:frown-new:

12-100mm
    40-150mm + 1.4x tc or 300mm
    60mm macro

We are going in July so still have lots of time to agonize over it.:dejection:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1