camera (or equipment) purchases via ebay: what's your experience?

smyth

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I'm still looking to buy a DSLR. I can't really afford a brand new one, so i thought used might be the way to go. I see some really good deals on ebay for the D70s, and the D50. I've never bought anything off ebay, so I was just wondering what your experiences are with ebay sellers. Have you ever been scammed?

i've bought a couple of things off ebay, including a camera, and the only thing i had a problem with is, i live in Canada, the guy i bought the camera lived in the US, when he shipped it, he accidentally valued the camera at $1000, it was a spotmatic, so when it came across the border i had to pay 150 in taxes, and appeal that, so if you buying anything that crosses border, expect for longer shipping and s**t taxes otherwise go for it

Bought (and sold) quite a lot of photo equipment at eBay, and my experience was good.

However, I strongly recommend you to take good care of what you do: try to get to know the seller, try to get some kind of guarantee for the product (particularly with digital cameras, I would say), avoid ultra-bargains, etc. Once you get used to eBay, I would say it is not difficult to identify scam attempts -which is obviously the most worrying risk you'll face.

If you work a little on all this, you will likely end up saving quite a lot of money, and very happy with what you get. That was my case more than once, I can tell you!:D But do take care with your purchases, and don't rush to the first nice offer you find.

You'll find tips and experiences at eBay using the search tool here at the forum. That's been discussed a few times, and some of the more experienced users' comments will surely help you.
Good luck!

Mostly good. I bought a Rolleiflex once that had a chip out of the taking lens but I returned it and got my money back.

mike

Oh, the same happened to me!
Well, not exactly the same, but basically. I also bought a rollei, and when I received it it was in a very bad shape. Luckily the seller returned the money without any problem.

so back to the point, that's what matters: to find sellers you can rely on. because cameras might have some unexpected problem, but if the seller doesn't, then doesn't matter!

I know 3 people had empty product boxes shipped to them and went through a VERY BIG head ache getting money back

being mainly a seller of camera gear I had very good experiences..

I know 3 people had empty product boxes shipped to them and went through a VERY BIG head ache getting money back

wow, but that is a scam of some years ago. did not know some still do it.

they actually advertise
the box and sell it. but wording is chosen so cunningly that people think they were selling the product which used to be in the box.

I bought my tripod (China), cable release (US), batteries (US), wireless remote (Hong Kong), ... from eBay and did not have any problems.

I will have to concur with Panocho, I have bought and sold several products on eBay with very good results. However, I strongly suggest you check the seller's rating & feedback history and CAREFULLY READ ALL of the the descriptions in the listing. It's also helpful to check the bid history to see who has biided on certain items, etc. I have had no problems dealing with eBay and feel quite comfortable in my purchases as long as I follow these basic guidelines. Try to get as much info from the seller as possible. You can get some decent deals off of the auction sites and save a couple of bucks here and there, just do the research.

I've only ever purchased one thing, a Nikon Circ Pol. I personally wouldn't buy anything expensive and electrical from eBay.

However, I have sold my old Nikon F80, Coolscan IV and D200 w/grip - all of which were in as new condition and boxed, so I know there are some genuine people out there lol

I've only ever purchased one thing, a Nikon Circ Pol. I personally wouldn't buy anything expensive and electrical from eBay.

However, I have sold my old Nikon F80, Coolscan IV and D200 w/grip - all of which were in as new condition and boxed, so I know there are some genuine people out there lol

You yourself confirm that it can be perfectly safe to buy from eBay more expensive things. However, I can understand your hesitation.

The point is learning to be safe. I really would doubt that experienced buyers were scammed or just had bad experiences. Note the 's' for plural: of course, some exception might happen, but then, as well as when buying new stuff. And you can be guarantee-covered buying used from eBay as well as buying new from any reputable shop, so no problem.

but to learn to be safe requires, I would say:

1. some experience
2. "study" the eBay market
3. be willing to let go excelent offers when they don't have the requirements

and sometimes 3 is just so hard!

I sometimes buy from Cameta Cameras.

They have a brick and mortar store which makes me feel a little better. I bought a D80 a couple of days before Christmas and they shipped it in time. I wouldn't buy anything that sounded too cheap as that is just asking for trouble, IMHO. I always pay with a credit card.

do you guys usually pay via pay-pal?

sometimes it's almost the only possibility.

I myself never had a problem when paying by Paypal, but read from users who were really unhappy, claiming that they had stolen their money, etc

I believe they even have a kind of association with a web site. Try to find it, if you're interested.

Anyway, I believe that most of the potential problems at Paypal are only for sellers, not for buyers.

Most reactions

Back