camera (or equipment) purchases via ebay: what's your experience?

I got a mint Wimberley II tripod head for almost half the normal UK price.

But I'd never buy a used dSLR from ebay, having worked in a camera shop for 10 years I've seen far too many ebay "bargains" go back for a very expensive repair.

Think I'd be wary of getting used lenses as well

Never had a real problem (with hundreds of camera transactions on eBay). However watch carefully because there certainly are scammers. Fortunately being cautious avoids may problems such as:
- check the sellers feedback and if they have a lot of feedback
- pay through PayPal so you can open a dispute if there are problems (PayPal just withdraws the money from the seller's account if the buyer wins the dispute).
- agree beforehand who pays if a shipment gets lost. Insurance in my opinion is of little value because the shippers pay very little, if anything in case of loss or damage.

Buyer(mostly) and Seller(sometimes)... Never had any issues but I'm extremely careful. If something is too good to be true, I assume it is a scam until proven otherwise.

*) Paypal only
*) US/Canadian transactions. I've done overseas but it is pretty darn risky.
*) Only with buyers/sellers with excellent feedback
*) Expensive items must go through escrow (only did that once).

With that said, I love ebay. Lots of items that would be impossible to find otherwise at a good price. Also makes it easier to offload equipment that I no longer want.

Having bought and sold for many years on ebay, I have learned that you really need to check the seller's feedback - it speaks volumes about the seller.

Bypass any newbie sellers - only sometimes will you get a good, honest deal from them.

A seller can have good feedback, but if they do not have any recent feedback, I would hesitate buying from them. Dormant accounts are hijacked everyday on ebay, and the scammers use them to sell expensive items.

READ the description well - note the grammar and spelling also - those who are honestly making a living through ebay, will use spellcheckers and have correct grammar.

ASK any questions before the auction ends. No response from them - a big red flag not to buy from them.

Use paypal for sure - for a buyer that is your guarantee that you will at least get your purchase price back if the item is a scam. Avoid the auctions who only accept money orders - you have no recourse as a buyer if they are a scam. A money order is as good as cash, and you know not to do that through the mail.

And the big one - If it seems too good to be true, then it probably is a scam. I have gotten a few good deals on ebay over the years, but for the last couple of years they have been almost non-existant. Buyers are more savvy and the really good deals don't happen too often.

Be careful and good luck!

I had bought several smaller items over a few years...but then last year I pulled the trigger and got a great deal on a DSLR & good lens for $1000. No problems.

One time, I ordered a remote release from China and when it didn't show up...I just E-mailed the seller and they sent me a new one right away.

Paypal is the way to go, as mentioned...it offers a level of protection for you.

I see that you are also in Canada. You should be aware of shipping issues and extra costs that may pop up. Photo gear has no duty but you may have to pay brokerage, especially if the item is sent with UPS or FedEx etc. If you can get something via the USPS, I recommend that....as there are usually little or no extra fees. When I got my camera, it was from a seller who lives in a border town and could send items from inside the US or Canada...so it was great for me. Also, I've been told that $1500 is the magic number...items under that price have a much better chance of getting through customs faster. Anything over that, and it will probably be red flagged for closer inspection.

Right now is a great time for Canadians to be buying from the US. Our Dollar is higher than it's been in a very long time and prices have always been much cheaper in the US.

I have bought most of my film cameras off of Ebay with out a problem. The only quality issue where with two Russian camera. Never have a problem PayPal. Also try to stay away from PayPal’s credit card the interest rate is outrageous.

I've bought a fair bit of camera kit on eBay... and anything I've ever gotten rid of I sold on there.

Buying wise, experiences have been pretty good on the whole, I've only ever bought brand new, and tend to buy from either UK bulk sellers/shops or Hong Kong shops (DigitalRev are good, stay away from DigitaliShop) and take the risk of import duty or whatever it is you get charged.

I've spent well over 2k GBP on Hong Kong purchases and never lost out on money or had an item not arrive; I did at one stage have a communication issue with a HK seller where I thought a part was missing and they simply weren't interested... luckily it all worked out.

Never bought any expensive camera equipment on eBay, but I have bought and sold expensive things. Had only one issue where something never got sent to me, but it was resolved fairly easily through Paypal. Only camera equipment I've gotten off eBay was a diffuser for my flash.

I use Ebay a lot, and have done a lot of buying/selling, mainly of mobile phones. Only had a couple of occasions where something I've bought hasn't turned up, but I'd paid by Paypal, lodged a dispute with them, and got all my money back on both occasions.

I've bought all my current camera equipment off Ebay, including the secondhand Canon 300D, and so far not had a problem - except that Canon 50mm f1.8 lens which I thought was shipping from the UK is apparently coming from Hong Kong, which they didn't state!

I didn't want to start my own thread so ill post in here.

I've never bought anything off eBay or online. I found what I think is a good deal on one of the recommended stores. It's called Cameta Camera. I was looking at getting a Rebel XT but I kind of want to spend a little extra on this.
what do you guys think? How should I pay?(I live in Edmonton, Canada).

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Canon-EOS-30D-Di...hZ006QQcategoryZ43454QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have made about 150 purchases from ePay in the last 5-6 years. Always paid with paypal except far a few transactions where it was not accepted. In only one instance did I have a problem, a camera I purchased was described in near mint condition but had a sizable dent in the prism. I returned it for a full refund without any issues or problems. OTOH, my daughter got involved with a few scam Hong Kong collector hand bag purchases. Real bad deal. I just deal with US and Canada, as well Aussy dealers and never had a problem. Just do your homework and all will work out. A large dose of buyer beware can't hurt either.

I sometimes buy from Cameta Cameras.

They have a brick and mortar store which makes me feel a little better. I bought a D80 a couple of days before Christmas and they shipped it in time. I wouldn't buy anything that sounded too cheap as that is just asking for trouble, IMHO. I always pay with a credit card.

I have purchased 3 DSLR's from them over the last 6 months, and highly recommend them. I had real problems with one of the DSLR's (manufacturing defect) and they paid for the shipping both ways and took care of it super quick.

I shop there first now.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back