Camera problem or settings?

kbry65

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was taking some modeling pictures yesterday and when I downloaded them to my computer they were distorted with swirls of color...as if there was a lighting issue. It was the first time I used my new studio lights but even now when I take a photo and download it I get this distortion when I zoom the pictures...any insight? I tried to upload one of the images but for whatever reason its not uploading.

Attaching an image with the issue would help.

I am trying to but for some reason it won't finish the upload

99% of the time it's user error. However, we can't tell until we have a photo from the shoot... As well as the EXIF data. Shutter speed, Aperture, ISO, Focal length, etc.

There is a stiky thread in the beginner forum explaining how to post photos.

I'm not sure it will show it but the pictures came out extremely grainy...both the darks and lights

Your ISO was on 1600 which caused the grain, your umbrella was in the frame (and your other lightstand), you had your exposure bias at -2 EV (which would underexpose the photo by 2 stops), your subject was too close to the background, and your background was wrinkled... But I don't see any "swirls" of color or defects aside from the ones I mentioned.

Could you elaborate more?

What are your camera settings?

I don't see the color swirls you're talking about.

ETA nm, found the exif.

Last edited:
they are continuous lights. Maybe swirls are not the right description. It just seems that the darker parts of the photos are distorted...I also tested the camera by taking pictures after re-setting the ISO to auto and EV to 0 and I still get grain on the black when I zoom to more than 80%. (see link). I never had that problem in the past. Cleaned the lens, mirror, and sensor.

ISO 400 1/60 f/5.6 26mm 0.00 ev

All sizes | test2 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Your ISO is 1600, not 400-
Sony DSLR-A330
0.006 sec (1/160)
f/5.6
20 mm
-2 EV
On, Fired
350 dpi
350 dpi
JPEG (old-style)

Camera
Exposure
Aperture
Focal Length
ISO Speed
Exposure Bias
Flash
X-Resolution
Y-Resolution
Image Width
Image Height
Bits Per Sample
Compression

Interesting...my editing software shows my ISO at 400, and I had the camera on auto when I took the picture

kbry65 said:
Interesting...my editing software shows my ISO at 400, and I had the camera on auto when I took the picture

Your ISO was 400 for the last picture

Most reactions

New Topics

Back