Camera recommendation for an Alaskan cruise.

BrunoB

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi. I'm new here and have been researching cameras for a while now. I'm looking for help in choosing a camera that will give me the best photos on an Alaskan cruise. I dont want to spend any more than about $500 so I think Dslr cameras are out and photography is not a serious hobby of mine. I've pretty much narrowed it down to super zoom point and shoots. Any one have recommendations for me?Thankyou in advance.

Canon has always made good superzooms. I was always partial to Sony. Ive been seeing great shots from the Sony hx1. It's at the top of your range but looks to be a good super zoom.

Last edited:
Well, for Alaska you'd need 2 things. Good wide angle and possibly good zoom as well in case you see wildlife. I'd recommend getting a 4/3 cam with interchangeable lens but those may not have the reach of a cheap point and shoot in case you want to get "30x" zoom

Well, for Alaska you'd need 2 things. Good wide angle and possibly good zoom as well in case you see wildlife. I'd recommend getting a 4/3 cam with interchangeable lens but those may not have the reach of a cheap point and shoot in case you want to get "30x" zoom
Can you recommend a specific camera?

What camera brands have you owned? Which one did you like the most? I'll go from there. I've only had canon, but would like to try nikon and lumix. They're all very good.
Edit: I did have a fujifilm superzoom for a couple of weeks and didn't like it.

Last edited:
As far as superzooms are concerned, I've owned the Nikon P500 and the Canon SX30IS. I've also owned Olympus and Kodak point and shoots.

Mark

What's your opinions of the canon g12 or the Panasonic dmc lx5 for Alaska?Or the canon sx40?

My friend persuaded me.

Most reactions

Back