Camera Security in Vietnam

It seems the best option when traveling is to have insurance. I went through my regular insurance company to cover my gear for around $150/yr for $10k coverage. There is no deductible. My homeowners policy would cover this, but with a $2500 deductible, so I added coverage specific to the photo equipment.

I didn’t buy good equipment to leave it at home. I bought it to use it. In the end it is something I can replace and the insurance makes that possible.

Taking precautions like the tips provided and definitely being aware of your surroundings is key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Being aware of your surroundings is only the first step. You need to know ahead of time if you’re willing to give up your property. Are you willing to physically resist? Would you run away? , if so, run the opposite direction the suspects scooter or car is pointed. Have a plan past “ know my surroundings “.

FB.me/CRFinTN Facebook
www.flickr.com/crf8/

Being aware of your surroundings is only the first step. You need to know ahead of time if you’re willing to give up your property. Are you willing to physically resist? Would you run away? , if so, run the opposite direction the suspects scooter or car is pointed. Have a plan past “ know my surroundings “.

FB.me/CRFinTN Facebook
www.flickr.com/crf8/
I get this.

But as Lew (The Traveler) pointed out, Vietnam is full of scooters. The way to cross a street is not to wait for a gap in traffic (there aren't any in cities) or for a "light" (they're rare). You just walk right out, keep a steady pace, and let the bikes dodge you. Lew gave me that advice before I went there, so did many others and it's spot on. And--I also got "hit" (ie: grazed) by two different scooters, got a small burn from a hot muffler/exhaust from one of them. You really can't run away if you see a scooter coming at you--that's dangerous. And I probably was in traffic with several thousand scooter during my time there--they're all around and whizzing by you.

Last edited:
Kinda strange I have a few family friends do the tourist thing to Vietnam back in the 1960s. They had NO problem having their stuff stolen. I guess its hard to steal something from a tank.

From what ive seen they managed to steal plenty of steel from your wrecked armory to use against you all though

Most reactions

New Topics

Back