Camera Security in Vietnam

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by JoeW, Jan 26, 2019.

1. dennyr

dennyr TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Is there something unique, about the imaginary lines on a map, that compose Vietnam, that make camera theft more likely than anywhere else.?

2. The_Traveler

The_Traveler Completely Counter-dependent Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes, compared to HCMC, anywhere in Laos, anywhere in Myanmar and anywhere in the north of Thailand, there is more scooter-by theft in Vietnam.
    I've been returning to SEA since 1998 and the attitude of big city Vietnamese street thieves has become more aggressive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. JoeW

JoeW Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit

When I went for my checkup before going, my doctor was born from Vietnam and has been back there multiple times. She said she had a friend who had a camera stolen by someone on a scooter. When I was at the Vietnamese embassy to get my visa, the person in line behind me was a professional photographer who's parents were from Vietnam. She'd been there multiple times. She said that the countryside was fine but in the city, especially HCMC it was wise to keep your camera close. Since I hadn't been to Vietnam previously I asked around for advice on camera security. Thus, this thread.