Camera Security in Vietnam

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by JoeW, Jan 26, 2019.

1. dennyr

dennyr TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Is there something unique, about the imaginary lines on a map, that compose Vietnam, that make camera theft more likely than anywhere else.?

2. The_Traveler

The_Traveler Completely Counter-dependent Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes, compared to HCMC, anywhere in Laos, anywhere in Myanmar and anywhere in the north of Thailand, there is more scooter-by theft in Vietnam.
    I've been returning to SEA since 1998 and the attitude of big city Vietnamese street thieves has become more aggressive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. JoeW

JoeW Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    When I went for my checkup before going, my doctor was born from Vietnam and has been back there multiple times. She said she had a friend who had a camera stolen by someone on a scooter. When I was at the Vietnamese embassy to get my visa, the person in line behind me was a professional photographer who's parents were from Vietnam. She'd been there multiple times. She said that the countryside was fine but in the city, especially HCMC it was wise to keep your camera close. Since I hadn't been to Vietnam previously I asked around for advice on camera security. Thus, this thread.

4. Zen1300

Zen1300 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It seems the best option when traveling is to have insurance. I went through my regular insurance company to cover my gear for around $150/yr for $10k coverage. There is no deductible. My homeowners policy would cover this, but with a $2500 deductible, so I added coverage specific to the photo equipment.

I didn’t buy good equipment to leave it at home. I bought it to use it. In the end it is something I can replace and the insurance makes that possible.

Taking precautions like the tips provided and definitely being aware of your surroundings is key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like Like x 1
  5. crf8

crf8 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Being aware of your surroundings is only the first step. You need to know ahead of time if you’re willing to give up your property. Are you willing to physically resist? Would you run away? , if so, run the opposite direction the suspects scooter or car is pointed. Have a plan past “ know my surroundings “.

FB.me/CRFinTN Facebook
    www.flickr.com/crf8/

• Like Like x 1
  6. JoeW

JoeW Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I get this.

But as Lew (The Traveler) pointed out, Vietnam is full of scooters. The way to cross a street is not to wait for a gap in traffic (there aren't any in cities) or for a "light" (they're rare). You just walk right out, keep a steady pace, and let the bikes dodge you. Lew gave me that advice before I went there, so did many others and it's spot on. And--I also got "hit" (ie: grazed) by two different scooters, got a small burn from a hot muffler/exhaust from one of them. You really can't run away if you see a scooter coming at you--that's dangerous. And I probably was in traffic with several thousand scooter during my time there--they're all around and whizzing by you.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  7. pocketshaver

pocketshaver TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Kinda strange I have a few family friends do the tourist thing to Vietnam back in the 1960s. They had NO problem having their stuff stolen. I guess its hard to steal something from a tank.

8. adie

adie TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

From what ive seen they managed to steal plenty of steel from your wrecked armory to use against you all though