Camera Suggestions for a DSLR newbie

mangine77

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
What is my best bet for a DSLR camera with video capability?

I was totally sold on a Nikon D40 or D40x and then realized that you can't take videos with them. What? A $550 camera that doesn't take a video? My $150 point and shoot takes great videos.

Anyway, what is a good entry level Digital SLR with decent video capability as well?? I want to be able to take good pictures and videos of my kids. Thanks!

John

Well, it is because it is made for taking photos, not video. You maybe even more surprise that the $8000 Canon DSLR also not able to capture video.

Sorry, I do not own any DSLR camera that record video, so I do not know which one is better. However, I know the Nikon D5000, D90 or Canon 5D MKII and Rebel T1i are capable of recording video.

What is my best bet for a DSLR camera with video capability?

I was totally sold on a Nikon D40 or D40x and then realized that you can't take videos with them. What? A $550 camera that doesn't take a video? My $150 point and shoot takes great videos.

Anyway, what is a good entry level Digital SLR with decent video capability as well?? I want to be able to take good pictures and videos of my kids. Thanks!

If you are new to DLSRs and looking for an entry level model, your best bet is probably sticking with the entry level d40 and keeping your P&S. I recently upgraded from a d60 to a d90 and have spent the past week reading the manual and books dedicated to learning all the d90 has to offer. I have not taken more than a handful of pictures yet with the d90 because it is so complicated and I want to learn everything first.

That said, you might get a little shell shock if you go and buy a $1000 camera and have never once had a DSLR before. There is a lot to learn and a lot more to the camera than just hitting a record video button.

Ultimately it is up to you, but I would consider the consequences before you take the leap. Just don't want you to regret your decision

It's also good to know that all DSLRs capable of taking video have to be focused manually when in video mode. I've tried it and it's not always easy...

It's also good to know that all DSLRs capable of taking video have to be focused manually when in video mode. I've tried it and it's not always easy...

Especially if the lens has a stiff focusing ring.

The Rebel T1i is probably the best cheapest DSLR with video capability right now, if you're just taking into accoutn video. It does 1080p where the Nikons only do 720.

Have you looked at the Lumix ZS3 P&S?
HD video, stereo recording.

DSLRs are for pictures, video cameras are for video. Do you want to take video, or do you want to take pictures. If you absolutely must have video, then I guess a Nikon D90 will work, but if video is such a priority then why are you getting a DSLR in the first place?

Although the new Canon T1i does 1024 video its only at 20fps - human eyes view the world at around 24fps so a 20fps video is going to look a bit choppy. It does the 720 at around 30fps - the same as the nikon D90 - and I think canon just stuck the 1024 to have a small edge over nikon - the fps cap was so that people would still have to shell out for hte much more expensive 5DM2 to get that feature.

I think its important to point out that DSLRs are made to be still photography machines - just as a big film camera is made to be a moving images one. Thus the feature of video is not one that has been a feature of them in the past - heck before liveview it would not have been possible as when the mirror which reflects light to the viewfinder (so that you can see what your taking) flips up when taking a shot you would not be able to see to compose a video as it was being shot.
Now with liveview almost a standard feature on most DSLRs recording that output is starting to be a feature also - but its not the main aim of the DSLR to be a video camera nor is its erganomics as best suited to the job as those of a proper video camera.
Whilst I think video support on DSLRs is looking to be a main feature of them now I don't think they willl ever get to a stage where they will replace proper video cameras - infact the opposite I would more expect (since erganomics is holding the DSLR back from being that video camera).

If you need video then the new T1i Canon or the Nikon D90 would be your best bet for getting video
As

If you find $550 for an entry level camera is expensive, what is your current budget for the camera and what are your needs for the camera? Is your goes is to have pictures to send to family members and post on facebook, you can look at a better P&S that does video as this might suit your needs more.

If your primary need is to do video, then getting a dSLR may not be the best thing for you. Sure the P&S cameras do video, but its the whole Jack-of-all-trades, master of none thing.

Remember that its the person behind the lens that makes a difference. You can make great pictures with a P&S and someone can make crappy pictures with a dSLR.

If you must have a dSLR and you must have video, your current options on the market are:

Canon Rebel T1i - price is $800 without any lenses
Nikon D90 - price is $920 without any lenses
Canon 5D Mark II - price is $2700 without any lenses
(all prices in USD)

I'm not an expert on P&S, but you have some options for decent quality ones with video from Canon (S5, TX1), Panasonic and so on.

If you want to take video buy a separate video camcorder.

That is all.

If you want to take video buy a separate video camcorder.

That is all.
THat is how I look at it as well. If I want to shoot video then I will buy a video camera and, I would get one where I could change the lenses as well for my Nikon glass. Dedication is a good thing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back