Camera Suggestions

PhotoGirl10

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I want to purchase a good camera for me to start my photography business. I have a few all purpose cameras however I want a good quality digital camera to use for professional photos. I really prefer Canon however I am open to considering other brands. Can anyone suggest a good model to start with? Price is not a huge factor. I have saved up the $$ for the purchase. Thanks!

I will mostly take portraits, wedding photos etc. I primarily will do photos with people or animals as the subject matter BUT I do love to take photos of nature as well.....

Welcome to the forum.

Any of the Canon Digital SLR cameras would be a good one to start with. The 'entry level' DSLR is the Rebel XTi and the next one up is the newly released 40D.

I suggest going into a store and holding those ones (well 40D isn't even in stores yet)...you might as well have a good feel of the Nikon models as well as the Sony & Pentax. They are all good, but some will feel better to you.

I forgot about the $$$ part, I am okay with spending anywhere from $800 to $2000.....

so you think the digital SLR type are better than say a canon powershot G9?

If you don't know enough about cameras to decide on what you need and your budget is <$2000, you don't know enough to go into the photography business.

so you think the digital SLR type are better than say a canon powershot G9?
Absolutely...there is a big difference between a DSLR and other digital cameras. Although, the G9 is probably a very good camera...it's no DSLR.

If you don't know enough about cameras to decide on what you need and your budget is <$2000, you don't know enough to go into the photography business.
Thanks for your help. We all have to start somewhere.

Absolutely...there is a big difference between a DSLR and other digital cameras. Although, the G9 is probably a very good camera...it's no DSLR.
Thank you, I appreciate it. I have been taking photos for a while but I need to take more time to really know the equipment and increase my knowledge.

Id hate to say it, but Traveler is right on here, A $800-$2000 price range for a camera is fairly broad. Are you looking at body only? kit? Is that your TOTAL budget, I.E. Lenses, tripod, Cards, PP software, ect? or is that what you have just alloted for the camera body? You mentioned you would be shooting portraits and weddings, Portraits are one thing, weddings are a whole different level of photography. Weddings are one of the most stressful situations for a photographer, as far as equipment goes, a well prepared photographer will have an assistant, multiple camera bodies, lenses, cards, and know their equipment inside and out to make the best of any situation.

Please dont take any of this the wrong way as it is just advice and things that I have learned over the past few years.

As far as cameras go, I recommend the Canon XTi. It is a excellent DSLR to begin with, I learned almost everything with the Canon Rebel line. The camera will also give you some room in your budget to invest into some good Lenses and maybe a couple accessories depending on what you plan on shooting.

Hope this helps a bit, Good Luck :wink:

Thank you!! Your advice is much better in his in that you explain the big picture and give insight into areas that maybe I have not considered. I have most of the other equipment, I have a tripod, monipod, lenses, an EOS digital rebel but I started to wonder if I should invest into something more advanced, if starting out I would be ok with what I have or if I needed something more. I had hoped to find people on here that would be more knowledgeable than I that would be willing to give advice or insight on what they have experienced personally.

I will be interning with another photographer on weddings so I am sure I will be learning alot! My focus is going to be portraits. This will also be a side venture for a while before I really make it my lifes work b/c I know it is not easy to get started. Thanks again!

Thank you!! Your advice is much better in his in that you explain the big picture and give insight into areas that maybe I have not considered. I have most of the other equipment, I have a tripod, monipod, lenses, an EOS digital rebel but I started to wonder if I should invest into something more advanced, if starting out I would be ok with what I have or if I needed something more. I had hoped to find people on here that would be more knowledgeable than I that would be willing to give advice or insight on what they have experienced personally.

I will be interning with another photographer on weddings so I am sure I will be learning alot! My focus is going to be portraits. This will also be a side venture for a while before I really make it my lifes work b/c I know it is not easy to get started. Thanks again!

Do not start any business until AFTER you have learned everything you need to know. Being an apprentice or following another photographer would be a good idea.

[sarcasm]I just got a piano and expect to be playing concerts soon. What kind of tuxedo should I buy and should I start taking lessons? [/sarcasm]

Isn't it a little disrespectful to the craft to think that you can get enough information from a single question or two on-line to determine the future of your business life?

Why not actually study the business, get some books, actually do a little work yourself and then ask questions that people can answer reasonably in an interactive format like this.

Why do people go to college to study photography?
Why do people post lots of threads here about choosing cameras and doing weddings and getting started?

Have you read them?

Do some work yourself and don't get insulted because not everyone is interested in spoon-feeding you some information that you could more profitably get yourself.

Grow the hell up.

Sincerely,

Wow, that's a little harsh don't you think? Maybe she's young and getting into it and doesn't yet fully appreciate what being a photographer is about, but I'm not sure it requires that level of response. I think her naivete is obvious enough that it doesn't require the ego trip from the genius that can't wait to tell her everything she doesn't know.

Dave

Most reactions

Back