Camera Suggestions

[sarcasm]I just got a piano and expect to be playing concerts soon. What kind of tuxedo should I buy and should I start taking lessons? [/sarcasm]

Isn't it a little disrespectful to the craft to think that you can get enough information from a single question or two on-line to determine the future of your business life?

Why not actually study the business, get some books, actually do a little work yourself and then ask questions that people can answer reasonably in an interactive format like this.

Why do people go to college to study photography?
Why do people post lots of threads here about choosing cameras and doing weddings and getting started?

Have you read them?

Do some work yourself and don't get insulted because not everyone is interested in spoon-feeding you some information that you could more profitably get yourself.

Grow the hell up.

Sincerely,

LoL you've gotta ask yourself why her questions so deeply offend you, sir. It's really not that big of a deal and I see no reason to be rude. If minor things like that offend you so much then you certainly have a lot of growing up to do, my friend.

Well I think the responses like his come from the fact that this question comes up all the time. It is more of a cumulative response to allt the people who come on all the time and say this and give the business/craft/art of photography dis-respect by saying "I can take nice photos of my family so I must be able to be a pro". But one thing that might have helped would have been not to make this the first post. It might help to get known around here for a while show some pics and then put up a post like this so then everyone won't assume thins about you.

Well, two ad-hominem attacks.

Well, actually it is a big deal. Day after day, people make their entry into this board by asking generalized, impossible-to-answer questions without having done any preparatory work, exactly the equivalent of going into a library and, ignoring the books, expecting the librarian to tell them what they want to know.

The OP clearly hadn't even looked around to see the myriads of discussions on the same topics that had occurred before.

It is exactly this kind of question that uses up time and energy from the responders who actually have something to contribute.

My first response told him/her exactly what I thought about her business chances. Maybe it wasn't couched in the terms acceptable to his/her level of emotional development but the real world after high school or college is exactly that - truth without coating.

The dilutive effect of many naive questions asked and answered (and bad pictures praised) is considerable. because serious posters or photographers don't want to be here, don't want to waste their time here.

If "serious photographers" can't bear to witness a question by a relative novice, that's their own issue. I'm sure there are plenty of experienced pros here with enough maturity to recognize the different levels that people are at and be willing to respond with something other than bashing. After all, you point out that plenty of people study photography in universities, surely those professors are "relatively serious" about photography and yet somehow manage to instruct novices rather than lecture them for three hours about how little they know and how much they need to grow the hell up.

Dave

If "serious photographers" can't bear to witness a question by a relative novice, that's their own issue. I'm sure there are plenty of experienced pros here with enough maturity to recognize the different levels that people are at and be willing to respond with something other than bashing.
Dave

Go right ahead and do it.

I want to purchase a good camera for me to start my photography business.

Using this as an opening sentence made my ears perk up. I thought "The OP doesn't have a clue..."

The balance of the post pretty much proved that out.

I have a few all purpose cameras however I want a good quality digital camera to use for professional photos.

Now that is downright scary for someone who is about to go into the Profession.

The Traveler hit it hard BUT, I understand and concur with his basic assessment of the situation. He just may not get the "smooth-and-gentle" award from some folks.

Using this as an opening sentence made my ears perk up. I thought "The OP doesn't have a clue..."

The balance of the post pretty much proved that out.

I don't think there's any doubt about that, that conclusion doesn't require a particularly keen sense of observation, and that's why I don't understand why traveler felt it necessary to address that. I mean, I know I wasn't born with a clue and I don't think it should be a surprise that there are people out there at that point in their learning curve. Not only that, I don't think many people grasp how far there is to go on the curve until they are some ways down it. Also there was nothing in the OP suggesting there was nothing to learn along the way, and subsequently she posted that she's starting out by apprenticing which is not a bad idea.

For that matter, what's scary about someone getting into the photography business without knowing what they're doing? Either they'll encounter some difficulties and be motivated to learn or they'll encounter some difficulties and decide to go into accounting. The kind of abrasive response seems to suggest a fear that someone who doesn't know what they're doing will become a raging success without knowing what they're doing, and really has no point except for someone to get off on telling someone else off.

Dave

And of course, there's always the option to stay out of a thread if it seems like a waste of time...

...but then how could I get my post-count up to 10,000 :)

PhotoGirl, people here are usually quite friendly (even Traveler, who contributes a lot). We definitely get a lot of people on here who have the wrong expectations, and lack a respect for the craft. A lot of others come here and ask questions that get asked nearly daily, yet it would never occur to any of them use the Search feature...

Clearly you already own a good amount of gear, and chances are there is a matching level of skill. If you already own several EOS lenses and a Digital Rebel, I think you're all set. You probably don't need much additional gear.

How are your processing skills in Photoshop or other editing software? Have you had a chance to work with RAW files (rather than the JPGs?) It might be worth at this point to get skilled with that rather than adding gear.

If you've got some pics, post them in the Gallery.

... and if you really have money burning a hole in your pocket, look at Canon's 5D. It's got a Full-Frame sensor (24x36mm, like film neg) so your lenses work the same way they do with your film cameras.

Sorry Dave.......I have to stay with my original assessment.

I just can't be the warm, soft, comforting, politically correct individual that some expect.

For that matter, what's scary about someone getting into the photography business without knowing what they're doing?

After 40+ years in business I can tell you there is a lot to be scared about. I have watched literally dozens of people venture into this craft and end up creating financial suicide.

Encouraging someone to "try it you might like it" is cruel and misleading on a grand scale.

Hey photogirl10, you ok?

Don't worry about it, do as you like. Have fun, die with dignity- you never know if you don't try.

I will be interning with another photographer on weddings so I am sure I will be learning alot! My focus is going to be portraits. This will also be a side venture for a while before I really make it my lifes work b/c I know it is not easy to get started. Thanks again!

See I think this would have been a better way to open this thread. If this person had came on in the first place and said "I am going to assist a wedding photographer as a way to get into the business I have a budget of $xxxx what would be the best way to spend this money for a person just starting out" I think the responses would have been alot better. I think saying "I am starting a business what kind of camera do I need can raise the hackles of any long time pro.

The snobbishness in this thread amuses me. "If you don't know enough about cameras to decide on what you need and your budget is <$2000, you don't know enough to go into the photography business."

Well, you don't say!

Actually, if she has or can get customers who will pay, then, she probably knows more than needed (and more than some of you) to go into the business.

The "business" entails a lot more than knowing what equipment is required. Actually, it's more about knowing and admitting what you don't know and being humble and wise enough to ask for advice.

There is no dilution effect from having questions asked more than once.

If you aren't willing to offer a helpful response, then, I suggest (although you are free to do as you will) you simply refrain from responding.

Caruso

Most reactions

Back