Camera support in a hide photographing wild birds

PJcam

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What method of camera support do you guys use when photographing birds from a hide at a nature reserve?

Please feel free to share the methods you have tried and tested, problems you found with some methods and advantages you found using other methods.

I have not been out with the camera yet but hope to soon, as the weather gets better, I have just joined the RSPB. Your replies will be very helpful.

Plain old tripod and ball head should serve you well. Gimball head if you're shooting with big glass.

Yep, tripod works just fine for me. Never leave home without mine.

You can get hide clamps which fit onto the woodwork by the windows but they have the disadvantage that your lens will protrude through the window which makes you more visible to the birds and will upset purist birders in the hide.

I use my tripod with no problems.

Adding on to what is advised earlier here, you may want to have a remote trigger. I prefer a wired one. My experience is purely from the thick rain forests where light is not in abundance.
You may require personal protective items too depending on which kind of forest (if it the wilderness you’re heading into) it is...
Cheers...

I hand hold my 500mm f4 95% of the time,the other 5% of the time I'll put it on the window ledge sitting on a bean bag

I've got a waterproof beanbag, and I've mounted a cheap gimbal head on a monopod just for a little support. Still to test the monopod/gimbbal out though but the beanbag is useful as it stops the camera clunking on the wood of the hide.

A fair bit depends on the hide, some are big and some are small, and some are popular and some are not.

But in general there's a variety of options

1) A tripod - if the hide has disabled access chances are they might have a low window without a bench in front that you can move up too; so setting up a tripod shouldn't be a problem.

2) Most will have a shelf before the window to lean on/place the ID book/binoculars on - so if you've got a shelf you can often use a small beanbag and just balance your lens on that.

3) Often the setup might be more cramped, in those cases a monopod can be more suitable as it leaves you a bit more mobile and able to move whilst also not taking up a huge amount of room - yet it will do a good job taking the weight of the camera.

In general scout it out and see what works for you, if you've not bought anything yet then a quick trip down before you make any purchases would be good; you might even bump into a local photographer to the site who could advise you further on what they've found works in the hide itself. You might also want to phone ahead to the reserve wardens and ask, some can have rules on things like tripods or they might even have other ideas that local photographers have used.

Note on the point raised above about purist birders - there is a TINY (its really really tine) number of "birders" and "photographers" who are "at war" with the other group. These are the people who you get in any social group who are most often in a minority but who can quickly spoil the experience for everyone (and thus often stick in the mind). In general you won't get any issues ever as long as you're polite and respectful and generally quiet. Most wildlife at reserves is fairly used to the hides making some noise now and then; plus the works carried out by wardens will often be far more disturbing when they are cutting or checking things yet the wildlife will come back.
However the vast majority of people are polite and happy, they might not strike up conversation except in hushed tones and might only chat around the cafe/entrance area of the reserve - but you can bet most are keen, polite and if anything welcome new people into the interest.

Thank you everyone for your comments, some good replies, like one would expect from a good forum. :encouragement:

Adding on to what is advised earlier here, you may want to have a remote trigger. I prefer a wired one.

Thanks amj, I have a remove corded trigger ready, thank you.

In general scout it out and see what works for you, if you've not bought anything yet then a quick trip down before you make any purchases would be good; you might even bump into a local photographer to the site who could advise you further on what they've found works in the hide itself.

Thanks overread, I have camera, lens, tripod, monopod, shutter release etc etc (all in my first month LOL). But I do agree that before doing anything in a hide I need to visit the place, chat with a warden and take a look at the hides, so when weather improves that will be by first stage I think. We have a RSPB nature reserve within 10 miles and I just joined ready, so I just need to get out and suss it out. I guess every hide can be different but I also need to know I can get in with my power wheel chair (and not make a noise).

Note on the point raised above about purist birders - there is a TINY (its really really tine) number of "birders" and "photographers" who are "at war" with the other group. These are the people who you get in any social group who are most often in a minority but who can quickly spoil the experience for everyone (and thus often stick in the mind).

I take the point on the tiny minority of purists, or anyone with an attitude, it just goes over the top of my head. I am always polite sadly the way the world is so many are not, but they can go their way, I will go mine. I just want to start and enjoy the hobby, get out in the fresh air, view nature and enjoy as much as I am able in places I can access. I am not expecting photo's like some of you guys but I do hope to enjoy photography.

However the vast majority of people are polite and happy, they might not strike up conversation except in hushed tones and might only chat around the cafe/entrance area of the reserve - but you can bet most are keen, polite and if anything welcome new people into the interest.

Brilliant, I will see how we go once I can get out, it is bitter cold at present, more snow and freezing temperatures coming this week, but Spring is just around the corner and February is the shortest month. I can't wait... shooting without a licence and without killing anything, :icon_camera: (Turn off the flash! LOL) Brilliant hobby :icon_salut:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back