camera to take B&W photos

sleepwalker

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
im new to digital photography....i would like to know which camera in the $300 range is good at B&W
i read in another thread about how the poster did not know what kind of photography they wanted to do..
i do not per se have this problem...i used to many,many moons ago i had a 35mm that i shot B&W with..
i liked the feel of that 35mm ...do all digital cameras do B&W along with color>? i would like to get
good enuf to enter contests maybe make a second income ...but 1st i need a good camera so any and all
help is good

im new to digital photography....i would like to know which camera in the $300 range is good at B&W
i read in another thread about how the poster did not know what kind of photography they wanted to do..
i do not per se have this problem...i used to many,many moons ago i had a 35mm that i shot B&W with..
i liked the feel of that 35mm ...do all digital cameras do B&W along with color>? i would like to get
good enuf to enter contests maybe make a second income ...but 1st i need a good camera so any and all
help is good

Just get a camera that shoots some form of RAW file, and convert to black and white in post processing

ok..............?
when i say im new i mean it..lol how do i find out if it shoots raw ? what processing platform would i use?
i want very much to understand

If you already have the camera, your Users Manual will tell you about raw shooting. If not, then, once you have decided which camera to buy, you should be able to Google its specs and find out. A lot of high-end Point & Shoot (P&S) cameras shoot raw image format and all digital single lens reflex (DSLR) cameras shoot raw files. If you go to a camera store to buy a camera, you should ask the "sales rep" - if he doesn't know and cannot tell you, then RUN do not walk from that store and find yourself a store with knowledgeable people.

You could have a look at this site as well - Tutorials – The RAW File Format . This one, which is the first of a three part series may also help - Why Raw -- Part I - the links to the next page is at the bottom of Parts I and II. HTH.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

thank you everyone it is most helpful :)

You can convert any image format into black and white using processing software (Photoshop, Elements, etc.). There are some advantages to shooting raw files rather than jpg, but any image format (also tiff) can be converted. The software allows you to make adjustments to how the black and white output will look, so it is better to shoot in color, then convert.

ok so shoot color then use photoshop thank you :)
now i just have to get the camera and photoshop!

thank you very much for the video it was most helpfull
does all editing software allow you to edit like that in the video?

thank you very much for the video it was most helpfull
does all editing software allow you to edit like that in the video?

Most likely, yes. It may be a different layout, called different names/titles, etc. but the principle will be the same.

Most reactions

Back