What's new

Camera Trigger ... What Do I Need for What I Want?

ddbowdoin

TPF Noob!
Joined
Nov 23, 2010
Messages
50
Reaction score
0
Location
Boston, MA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all,

Complete newbie here and certainly lack formal and technical knowledge. I go out for a lot of late night shots and absolutely love the contrast I am able to achieve. I think I work pretty well with the limited means I have (Nikon D80 w/ 50mm 1.8).

Through trial and error I have become pretty good at selecting aperature and shutter speeds when shooting, what I am looking for is a tool that will allow me to increase my speed and efficiency.

I am looking for a trigger that will allow me to keep my shutter open for whatever time I feel is enough to grab what I am looking for. I have seen cheap cables that just act as a shutter release that works within the frameworks of the cameras shutter options (bulb, 5 sec etc etc etc etc) but there is no freedom. What if I want a 12 second shot and not a 15 second? You see where I am going...

what tool is needed and is it even possible?
 
That or a radio remote, I use the Phottix brand and it works great (and you don't need line of site to use it).

Either way should meet your needs.

You don't even need a remote to do this (at least I don't think you do on the D80). I think there is a delay option so you can press the shutter button and it will delay a couple seconds before doing anything.
 
Nikon ML-L3 Wireless Remote Control (Infrared)
$14.50

I have one and it is a great purchase and works well. Here is a link to B&H.
Nikon ML-L3 Wireless Remote Control (Infrared) 4730 B&H Photo

shows you how little I know, from a technical standpoint... I just go out and take (well, at least try) well composed shots.

the woman at ritz told me this cable would not allow me to set the camera on bulb and just hold until I am ready to close the shutter... was she just BS'ing me?

is this overkill?

http://shashinki.com/shop/phottix-n...dslr-digital-cameras-p-3771.html?currency=USD
 
Last edited:
With the ML-L3, and your D80 set up to use it (bulb mode), you click to open the shutter and then click to close the shutter.

Page 51 in the D80 users manual. http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/dslr/D80_en.pdf

So count 1001, 1002, 1003, 1004, or use the second hand on a watch.


this forum is awesome! first day and I've already had a nice headache resolved... thanks everyone!
 
i bought the ml-l3 for 4$ on ebay.
 
i bought the ml-l3 for 4$ on ebay.


I'm going to keep an eye out... I forked over 20 for it at a local camera shop. I chose to support my local shop despite all of the major retailers selling the item for 14.50 (and I always find a free shipping coupon online somewhere)
 
Nikon ML-L3 Wireless Remote Control (Infrared)
$14.50

I have one and it is a great purchase and works well. Here is a link to B&H.
Nikon ML-L3 Wireless Remote Control (Infrared) 4730 B&H Photo


I was just wondering if you could shed some light on the battery used for the ML-L3. Does it need to be replaced often? Are they expensive? I was just curious because I may return this one and pay more for the wired version if I know the batteries will be an issue.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom