Camera upgrade?

gospel120

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello Everyone, I a newbie to the forum. I thought it would be a great place to get some input on upgrading my camera. I currently have a older Sony DCS-HX1 and I think that it is time to move to a newer camera. What is important to me is image stabilization, clarity, ease of use, and durability. Almost all of the photos I take are landscapes such as waterfalls to distant mountain ranges so distant image quality is critical. I hike and camp for much of the time that I use it so I need a camera that will be durable enough to take some abuse. The Nikon p900 has caught my eye along with Cannon SX 60 HS.

I have sporadic access to the net so look over an slow response, Thanks!

You might want to take a look at the Panasonic FZ1000. It doesn't have quite the range of the p900 but it has a larger sensor which means better image quality.

The Panasonic FZ300, is water and dust resistent.

You might want to take a look at the Panasonic FZ1000. It doesn't have quite the range of the p900 but it has a larger sensor which means better image quality.
2 cameras that will give you less reach then the P900 but much better image quality and low light performance are

Panasonic FZ1000
Sony RX10 MkII

Mind you all these are superzooms, good cameras but not really same overall level of a good DSLR

Thanks for all the input! I will start checking these cameras out.

[...] image quality is critical. [...] durable enough to take some abuse. The Nikon p900 has caught my eye along with Cannon SX 60 HS.
... okay, that just doesnt compute. I dont have the slightest idea what you want.

While its impressive what Nikon and Canon still can squeeze out of these extreme conditions (83x and 65x zoom range), neither the P900 nor the SX 60 offer anything above the most minimal IQ, and they definitely cant take any sort of abuse, either.

Compared to the P900 or SX 60 it has a huge sensor (13.2 x 8.8 mm vs 6.17 x 4.55 mm => more than 4 times as large area) and while I dont find its image quality that impressive, it certainly is a huge stepup from the other two cameras.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back