Camera upgrade

slat

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've decided to get a Canon 80D to upgrade from my SL1. I can get the 80D with the 18-55 kit lens new for $949 which is almost 25% off. I can get the same thing as a refurb. for $750.
Which would you do?

I have very good luck buying used equipment, almost everything I own was bought used.

If the refurb is directly from Canon, then I will get the refurb since they comes with 1 year warranty from them.

It is directly from Canon.

Canon referb as said comes with a year warranty. Also a referb has has 1to1 attention from the canon service person
I have had canon referb, all good.

Before you press the [buy] button, take a look at getting the camera with the 18-135 lens.
I prefer that as a General Purpose lens over the 18-55, because with the 18-135 you don't have to switch to a longer lens as much.
I use the Nikon equivalent 18-140.
The high school yearbook that I mentor uses the 18-135 lens as their standard/GP lens. With the 18-135, the kids hardly use the longer 70-300 anymore.

Last edited:
Be advised that the following Canon cameras do not have a centre pin in the hot shoe for firing third party speed lights or triggers;
- EOS REBEL SL3
- EOS REBEL T7
- EOS REBEL T100

Let's hope this isn't a trend from Canon since OEM speed lights are ridiculously priced.

Be advised that the following Canon cameras do not have a centre pin in the hot shoe for firing third party speed lights or triggers;
- EOS REBEL SL3
- EOS REBEL T7
- EOS REBEL T100

Let's hope this isn't a trend from Canon since OEM speed lights are ridiculously priced.

I SAW this RE the SL3 a couple of days ago in a video by Michael The Maven..a very bad move on Canon's part.

- EOS REBEL SL3
- EOS REBEL T7
- EOS REBEL T100

I SAW this RE the SL3 a couple of days ago in a video by Michael The Maven..a very bad move on Canon's part.

Agree.
I recall in the film days, Minolta did similar with a proprietary hot shoe.
Rather than capture the flash sales, in discussions with my friends, that became a reason to NOT buy that Minolta camera.

- EOS REBEL SL3
- EOS REBEL T7
- EOS REBEL T100

100% agree. I think that is what Sony did in the beginning. Then they decided to turn around and provide a regular hot shoe on their camera now. Strange that Canon will do the opposite now.

This seems like a very risky maneuver, locking people out of using third-party flashes and triggers especially with lower-priced modeled typically bought by customers who would likely not willingly pay $400-$600 for a Canon branded speedlight flash. Instead of increasing Canon flash sales, such a heavy-handed tactic could lead to people buying another brand of camera entirely, resulting in both the loss of a sales of a camera and flash, and creating an easy reason to buy something else. I saw about 10 days ago that year-over-year sales in the imaging division dropped 23% from last year, and profits were down tremendously, around 80%, which is really bad for the imaging division. Perhaps this is one way Canon hopes to increase sales and profitability in its imaging division.

Last edited:
Not to hijack the OP's post entirely but part of Canon's strategy of requiring OEM speedlights for these new bodies is designed to keep people upgrading to Canon to justify the heavy investment of that OEM speedlight for the next newer body. For those of us who have invested in OEM speedlights, many regret doing so, now that far more economical alternatives are easily available.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back